cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hg17

Quit smoking but got hooked on Juul

Hi All,

I am new to this group . I am hoping to hear from Ex Vapers , soon to be or struggling to be ex vapers !

Sooooo I thought when I quit smoking cigarettes and only juuled , I was no longer a “ smoker “! I thought vaping was the answer to my prayers . No more smell, hiding , cronic sinus infections , could Juul indoors with my tea in the morning & glass of wine at night ( really a big deal , especially being home more now with COVID pandemic ) , didn’t have to find the “ smokers shame “ designated area ; the list goes on .

Im the past few months I’ve noticed I’m getting more sore throats and sometimes heavy feeling chest , more fatiqued etc . Things I associated with cigarettes and not vaping . 
I read someone’s post that giving up their Juul was like “ giving up their friend” . That truly resonated with me . I have read Allan Carr’s book numerous times. I guess I just never thought nicotine was really a big deal ( I know that sounds silly).... I told people and myself it was way better than the tobacco and chemicals added to cigarettes . 
I honestly have no desire to return to smoking . Don’t like the smell of it and it’s been almost 2 years . I do think it’s time to get started on quitting the Juul .

Any suggestions , advice or thoughts on my post would be greatly appreciated . Thanks  

HG17

Labels (1)
17 Replies
indingrl

https://www.verywellmind.com/5-minute-craving-busters-2824747 Welcome and I hope this HELPS - I am glad your a NON SMOKER today

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s hg17 

I am glad you found our site.  We have a vape group you may want to join.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/e-cig-users 

I am sorry to say, but you traded one addiction for another.  Take my suggestion and read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ...replacing smoking with vaping...there you will plan your quit date and plan for that day like no other...Also, read here at the support site about addiction, quitting nicotine, etc., become knowledgable in addiction and quitting...then come here for support.  We are here to help you...You can do this, it isn’t easy, but it is doable.  ~ Colleen 636 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Nicotine addiction has two parts -physical AND psychological. . You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.  Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. . An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

breakthecurse

Hi hg17‌. Former Vaper here... I’m on Day 31 of my vape quit and I will tell you quitting vaping was way harder than my cigarette quit 10 years ago. 
As you’ve stated, the access to vape, the lack of smell, the higher nicotine content and the rationalization that vaping was safer made this quit exponentially harder.

Vaping is nicotine. I’m an addict to nicotine. I’m a junkie.

I had to realize this to finally put down the vape. I tried NRP, cold turkey, a heck of a lot of prayers, then finally used Chantix.  I daily remind myself that although I want to vape, badly... I don’t do that anymore. It’s a decision I make every.single.day and the struggle is real. I’m an addict to nicotine. You can vape it and call it safe but it’s addiction.

YoungAtHeart

breakthecurse     CONGRATS on a month!

I hope we have all finally come to the conclusion that the only thing safe to inhale in our lungs is air (and sometimes that isn't so great,either!).

Glad you came to that conclusion.  I know it's been tough, but you are doing it - and what a fine example you are for others!

WhispersQSMB

Hi hg17‌, that's a big mistake we all make thinking we're ex smokers when we quit smoking and start vaping. Vaping is easier and a bit cleaner over smoking a cigg but still feeding us nicotine. Vaping dehydrates our mouth (dry mouth) and why the sore throats "Dry mouth. One of the most common side effects of vaping. Dry mouth is most associated with the base ingredients of e-liquid: PG and VG (propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin)"

As far as quitting your new crutch "vaping" approach it the same way as smoking but don't vape . Exercise, read? Search around the site for ideas on quitting smoking .

If they really want a healthy life oxygen is all that we should inhale

elvan

Nicotine addiction is addiction no matter what the delivery system is.  I smoked cigarettes for many years and tried repeatedly to quit but never made it very far.  I have not smoked in over 6 1/2 years now, never vaped, thank God.  You can do this but you have to remember that it is a one day at a time journey and many smokers feel like they have given up their friend when they stop smoking.  Friends are hopefully not trying to kill you every day and controlling every thought you may have.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Just wanted to add my welcome.  You've already gotten some great advice.  There are a number of vaper's on the Ex now so there will be many quitters who understand your journey.

Barb