cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ajb261

How do I start the process?

I have set a quit date for 2 weeks from now. I am tracking my cigarette use and reasons for each cigarette. Is it recommended I start using the Nicotine patch today and trying to decrease my cigarette intake from day 1?

I would really like some direction. I have been a lifelong smoker and know how difficult this is going to be but I am READY! Any input would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

You should not use the patch until your quit date.  Doing so will  put an additional background of nicotine in your body and might even lead to an overdose of it.  As well as tracking your cigarettes. you may start  putting each one off just a little while you get busy doing something which will  take your mind off of smoking.  You can gradually reduce the amount you are getting without adding any stress to the process.  While you are tracking your cigarettes, also think about and write down what else you might do to replace it in your day.  There is a list later in my welcome to get you started with ideas.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

fThe idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

ajb261

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful.

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

Welcome to the EX.  Quitting is the best decision you can make and it's very doable with a little work.  

Take these next 2 weeks and learn as much as possible about the withdraw symptoms your body will be going thru Like restlessness, irritability, anger, trouble concentrating etc...  Learn about cravings how they will be strong at first and gradually weaken in time and understand a craving only last a few minutes.  Find a way to deal with cravings walks, gum, suckers, deep breathing, drink a glass of cold water, take a shower, bite a lemon etc.... Post and ask questions here especially in the beginning A lot of good people here   Being prepared will make things go easier   As far as patches and any NRT read the directions on the package

Nancy YoungAtHeart  has listed a lot of great links also surf the web you will find all kinds of information   

You can do this

Carl

ajb261

Thanks Carl , for the input!

0 Kudos
tyndallgw

I recently read (scanned quickly) a research paper that addressed your question of weaning off cigarettes vs just stopping cold turkey.  The results showed that trying to wean yourself off of the smokes before your quit date didn't really help.  With that said, however, I found it useful to practice not smoking at times that I would normally light up.  For example, I stopped smoking while I was driving for the two weeks prior to my actual quit date.   Success with this little exercise gave me a little more confidence when my actual quit date came. 

-George  

marciem

Welcome!!! And congratulations on your powerful decision to quit smoking... it is the best thing you can possibly do for yourself.

From my own personal experience, just me, I found that anticipation of the quit was worse than the reality.  I say this because you are giving yourself two weeks of anticipatory anxiety, in my opinion.  (not to mention the time to change your mind, or for some event to happen in your life that will make quitting seem impossible)  You have the patches.  You have the informational resources right here at hand.  It is good to have a plan, yes.  It doesn't have to be a long way off plan, a plan can happen in a day or less. All relapses are planned... often less than an hour of plan.  So a quit can work the same way.

Just my opinion, but why wait?  The sooner you start this adventure, the sooner you'll be done with the harder parts and well on the road to complete freedom.

And p.s.  I agree with above, do not smoke and use patches at the same time.

Just throwing my opinion out there, whatever you decide is best for YOU, is best for you!! 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Research any aids that may help you.   I cut down for a week prior to my quit along with Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers worked for me.  

Smoking cessation experts have mixed opinions on cutting back.

Use this time to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create your quit plan. 

We're here to support you so just reach out anytime you need encouragement.

Here's some information you mind find helpful.

Barb

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Barbscloud/blog/2020/02/01/nicotine-replacement-wrong-or-r... 

elvan

You have gotten great advice already, l found that tracking my cigarettes & planning what to do INSTEAD of smoking made me more aware of what smoking was NOT doing FOR me.  It seemed to take some of the power away from my craves.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen 

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome ajb261 

You have gotten some great advice above me...do the work...and the planning...and keep close to the support site...2 Weeks is a great day to quit smoking...Happy Friday ~ Colleen 634 DOF