cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tyndallgw

What did you hate most about smoking?

As you all know, one of the major psychological struggles encountered by many quitters is the sense of loss associated with never having another puff....it's almost like the loss of an old friend.  The old nicotine demon can easily get into your head telling all sorts of lies just to get you to light up one more time.  In reality, however, we all know how we detested many of the things associated with smoking.  I found it useful last night to remind myself of some of these things.  What about you?  What did you hate?   

33 Replies
Cousin-Itt

When I couldn't hold off ant longer and had to have a smoke when my granddaughter was in the car.  That's what I hated the most 

tyndallgw

That would be really tough.

AnnetteMM

I hated always clearing my throat and not being able to take deep breaths without wheezing.

I used to carry an inhaler around me with all the time. Now I don't have to anymore.

Jen_819

The time out of my life it took away. I was a quick smoker so it usually only took me about 6 minutes to smoke a cigarette, but if you think about 6 minutes * 20ish cigs = at least 120 minutes per day. I can think of tons since I am a new quitter, but this one just stands out to me.

Christine13

I hate the stink on me after smoking.  Also coughing up flem.  Yellow teeth.

noetoez

Smoking took so much time from me. It wasn't just the time to smoke the cigarette itself. Allowing extra time on car rides to stop to buy them. Thinking about when I'd be able to take a break, planning for where I would be able to go smoke, need time to "air out" before going home, a lot of thought was devoted to making sure I could smoke. Not to mention the future time at the end of my life I was letting it take from me. 

Barbscloud

That it was bad for your health.   

YoungAtHeart

I hated that hacking cough after every good laugh.  Hesitated to just let go and enjoy a good belly laugh, knowing that awful, shameful cough would always follow.

tyndallgw

Isn't that the truth.  Hopefully, I'll be able to belly laugh with my granddaughter without this fear sometime soon.