cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Marigene6266

Facing a trigger and anxiety laden weekend

Good afternoon all! How are you today? I'm doing well, my physical pain is better than it was a day or two ago. So I'm not feeling so desperate as I was. I made it through those past 2-3 days when the craving was strong. (YAY! for me) But now another situation is coming. I am facing a weekend that will be full of triggers and anxiety with no avoidance possible.  I am spending the weekend with my mother. I love her dearly but just a few hours with her drives those craving through the roof. She is 80 years old, diabetic, high blood pressure, past history of stroke, had a heart attack just a few months ago, stage 3 or 4 kidney failure due to the diabetes, a plethora of other ailments that seem to strike senior citizens. As you can imagine I am fearful that every visit could be the last visit so I try not to aggravate her or upset her in any way. I am in charge of all of her health issues as well as partially in charge of financial and everything else in her life. My sister used to do these things but they had a falling out and have just begun speaking again in the past few months (since COVID began) . One of the things my sister did was to treat my mom like a child, trying to take over completely. I try to let mom know before I do something that affects her even offering her a choice in decisions. This has begun to be a problem, mom is exhibiting onset of Alzheimer's, with all of her health conditions I do not feel that she will be around long enough  for them to be severe but it tries my patience. My go to method for handling that stress has been smoking and as it is no longer available to me I am concerned. She has a tendency to have "silent treatment tantrums" when she does not want to do something. This is extremely prevalent with food, I offer choices and she does not respond. The last time I stayed for a few days we had a long day of this activity. I asked before noon what we would have for supper, as I do all the cooking.  She relies on microwave meals and and foods that do not require cooking. Unfortunately this leads to her eating a lot of sweets in the form of puddings, fruits, cookies, etc. When I am there I cook a minimum two meals a day so that she is eating healthier and better than normal. On this particular day I asked multiple times throughout the afternoon , giving multiple choices. No comment, no response whatsoever from her. After about 6 hours I became exasperated and simply cooked what I wanted. It was something I knew she liked, I had cooked it for us before. When it was ready she said she would eat it in a little while. Said she was not hungry right then. A couple hours later she had still not eaten it and I went to bed. The next morning the plate I had fixed for her had not been touched not so much as a nibble. I feel like she is acting like a 2 yr old and have to urge to spank her. (LOL, I know I never would but it's fun to dream)  Before I quit I was smoking a pack a day, when visiting her  I typically smoke 1 and a half, sometimes 2 packs a day. I cannot avoid the visit as I have not been up to spend a weekend for about a month. Any suggestions as to what I can do to deal with her and still maintain control over my cravings?

10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on stepping up to the plate to take care of your mother. Well, I can comment because I have some experience with the elderly.  I have learned at 80 years old she feels she can do what she wants when she wants and there is no changing that. Let it go it is only meant to frustrate you. If she is not causing harm to herself let her be.  I know missing a meal can be major but she is still here.

I lost a quit getting upset with my dad who literally tried his best to drive me insane and laughed behind my back about it. He loved ruffling my feathers.  When I learned not to react it ceased to some degree.  Enjoy the moments and don't sweat the small stuff.  Life is shorter than we realize. Nothing is worth smoking over.  What would a nonsmoker do? Tell yourself you just "don't do that anymore".  Don't expect the worse, it can be better than you think.  Most of the time it is. One day at a time and one breath at a time you can make it. 

Cousin-Itt

I wish I  could help you out with a idea.  but you can only do so much.  If she won't respond makes something she likes and leave it up to her to eat.  The biggest thing is listen when she does talk and find a place to relax every chance you get    Stay Strong as you know smoking changes nothing in life it only destroys your health

Carl

indingrl

Thank you for sharing - when YOU become over whelmed with your ma - just excuse YOUR self and go to another room and prayer the serenity prayer - just sharing the prayer - God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change - Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference - it HELPS ME to step back breathe and calm down - HOPE I HELP

sweetplt

Hi hon...like Carl...I wish I could help with suggestions, but not sure what to say, because I am here to tell you, my mom has frustrated me and everyone around her for ever...she is tough...all you can do is the best you can for the weekend...and if she doesn’t like it ... so what? You get to go home and leave her with herself...I think that is the problem, they get to that point where no one listens and they are used to controlling everything...just don’t smoke, because trust me that will make you feel worse about her...and yourself...~ going to send a little prayer to you right now that things turn out better than you think...Colleen 626 DOF 

Sootie

Well--always hesitant to give advice in these situations but why not just go with enjoying the visit. Even if your Mom ate every bite of every healthy meals you cooked for the entire weekend....it really won't change any of her physical conditions. Ask her if maybe she would like just one of her usual micro wave meals.....maybe she sees your cooking as a judgement. I KNOW you love her and mean the best......but maybe just go and relax...ease into her lifestyle and don't worry if she rejects your attempts.

I am a hugely picky eater who often makes "unwise" food choices. My kids tease me that when I am old (older??!!!) they will come to visit and make me eat spaghetti. 

I think it is just great you stay in touch with your mom and you handle so many things for her. So just try to enjoy the visit......lean in to the joyful parts and ignore the aggravating.

And---as I tell everyone who writes about their Mom.......I would give almost anything for one more day with mine.

Stay Strong.....make sure to check in at the end of the weekend. Safe trip.

elvan

Sounds to me like you are a really wonderful daughter.  I agree with Sootie‌ that maybe you should try to relax this weekend.  If you offer your mom something homemade and she does not seem receptive, ask her if she would RATHER have what she usually eats and if she wants some pudding.  At this point in time, it is not going to hurt her and all of the good food in the world is not going to change her health issues.  I honestly believe that she is very, very lucky to have you as a daughter.

If you CAN connect with EX while you are there, it will help you, if you CAN'T, perhaps you could write what you would say if you COULD connect.

Sending you best wishes,

Ellen

RoseH

I know it’s tough when our loved ones grow old...  I was a caregiver for my mom, and aunt, for decades!  And they hated each other over some silly thing that happened when they were kids!  Catholic rosary saying “kids” still and I refused to take them each separately to do shopping etc...

How I wish I could have them "ruffle my feathers" now!  My advice is have N O cigarettes any where you can get to them!  If you don’t have em’ you cannot lose your quit!  Get good rest at night.  I used to take natural sleep aids almost every night I bought on Amazon.com.  Natural remedies that are not habit forming.  Look for at least 4.5 stars on reviews...  You are a good women!  And you will get through this!  We are all so blessed to be able to come here and “let it all out” as I put it!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers Marigene6266‌.  God bless and help you!

Barbscloud

Have a plan in place and be prepared for those triggers.   It can be difficult taking care of elderly people.  Gee, I'm one of them.   But they didn't complain taking care me, so I came to the realization that it was an honor helping them when they needed it.  Enjoy your weekend with your mother.

Barb

Mingers123

Hi there, Marigene6266!  I'm likely the last person on here that should be offering advice to anyone since I've lost every quit due to triggers, and mental state of being.  Might I offer suggestions, for your mother?  When I helped care for my grandmother, I would bring one of the family photo albums with me.  It always sparked an interest with her! She would tell me stories that I've never even heard her tell anyone before.  It's worth a try.   As far as her eating goes, she's going to eat whatever she wants anyway so grab the popcorn, pretzels, cheese, crackers, heck even cheetos puffs. Whatever her favorite snacks are, munch on a couple with her!  Offer to do her hair, or paint her nails. Whatever you decide, just cherish the time you're able to spend with her.  You are very blessed to still have your mother with you today.  She is set in her ways, try to go along with what she wants. That may even give you a break from her attitude.  

Best Wishes,

Sheri