Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jeanmarc19561

Anyone have experience with Chantix?

I started Chantix and would like to hear from people who have used it. Thanks

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Jen_819

I have used Chantix and quit smoking twice, now going on my third try on August 25th. It works great! I think it is important to stay with the program and remain on the medication even after you quit. I didn't do this and I think that is why I went back after being quit for a month each time. I suggest taking it after you eat and drinking water with it so you don't get nauseous, at one point I thought I was pregnant because I was getting nauseous in the morning after I took it. I also get a little "cranky" at times, but I have learned that it is from the Chantix and try to hold my tongue so to say. I don't have bad dreams like many people say, but I do remember them more which I don't mind. So these are the things that I can think of that stick out to me about Chantix. Let me know if you have any questions.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

Looks like this isn't your first rodeo!  Einstein is credited with saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  What will you do differently THIS time?    There IS no magic bullet, so I suggest you do the work of education, planning, preparation, participating here to gather support, and commit to never smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  We can help with all but the last

I successfully quit on my first and only attempt at it with Chantix over eight years ago. I had none of the side effects with which they scare you to death about taking it.  If you are bothered by any of them, there are ways to change the dosage, so call your doctor if you experience any.  There may be a way to work around them.  I stayed super busy the first couple of weeks; the first week I played Angry Birds nonstop!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.  You can get rid of all the "automatic" ones this way before you quit and naturally cut down on them before your quit date.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Jeanmarc19561

Hi Nancy and you're right. This is NOT my first rodeo. It is however my first experience with Chantix. I have read Carr's book and it is helpful. Ultimately this is all up to me and to use every tool in the tool box to quit when the urge strikes. Thanks again and you are a wealth of information.  John

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Everyone is different with the Chantix.  Some folks have side effects and some don't.  Follow the instructions and keep a positive attitude.  Educate yourself about nicotine and use this time to create your quit plan.  It's important to remember that aids can be a great help in quitting, but you still have to do the work.

Stay close.

Barb

Tanuaj

Hello and welcome! I used Chantix once for 30 days. My side effect was a racing heartbeat. I knew I just couldn’t go that route. It does stop the triggers though. My pharmacist suggested Wellbutrin (Bupropion). It works for me without any side effects. I hope you have lots to do. By that I mean stay busy. It helps. My best advice ever s to find something to do when you have a trigger. It took me 15 minutes to forget about wanting a cig. I started new routines that finally have become a norm for me now. The first month was hard but I fought the urge because I’ve been through the s before like you. Take it one day at a time. Replace something for the cig if it helps. My replacement is twizzlers. Man I love those things. Well a pat on your back for your decision to make your life and this world a better place pastedImage_1.png

Jen_819

How are you doing? Have you decided on Chantix? 

0 Kudos