cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lucky4babs

First Day/Anxious!

Holy Crap, people.... nicotine and the habit, are truly the Devil.   I’m 54 yo, been using this crutch for 50 years.  Integrated into my being on multiple levels.  A true coping mechanism.  I’m on Wellbutrin, put my patch on first thing.  Every last cigarette, ashtray, etc.  GONE.   Stress level at a 10

pic of me leaving all paraphernalia at a friends

Tags (1)
32 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

/blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2019/09/26/practice-this-breathing-exercise?sr=search&searchId=c3e25b2b-8d...

.  Congratulations on making the decision on quitting smoking.  It is one of the best you could make in your entire life that you will not regret if you stay smoke-free. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about  your triggers and how to prepare when the urges come

I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me More info is available at this site  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and FreedomFrom Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating this site go to. Community Help‌.  The main thing is to stay close.  Come here first before you light up. Talk about it.  We will help.

Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning.  No matter what make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept Not one puff ever. We have to be willing to do the work. It is not by will power but your willingness to do this.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. .  

Barbscloud

Congrats on your first day quitting.   I'm glad you found us--the support from this community helped make it possible for me.   I also used Welbutrin along with nicotrol inhalers, a smoking cessation class and I was lucky to find this site a week prior to my quit date.  Educating myself about nicotine addiction and having a quit plan made all this difference. My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  I skipped these two steps in the past and was destined to fail.   Having alternative behaviors planned instead of smoking is key. 

I love your pic, but.... how close by are those smokes?  It's best to get rid of them--it's just too tempting.    

Read everything you can on  this site and reach out if you need support.

Barb

lucky4babs

Those smokes are locked up at a friends house

only because I’m going to try to sell them.  About $250 worth

feeling the need to recoup some of the cost

every last cigarette/pack GONE from grasp!

YoungAtHeart

Yep - these first days of quitting smoking suck - no way around it - they just do.  Stay busy!  Get some exercise; then get some MORE.  Go for a walk, clean out a drawer, then a closet.  Organize your closet.  Play a computer game, watch old sitcoms on YouTube.  Go for another walk.  Eat some chocolate.  Take deep breaths of freezer air.  Take a shower!  Take a bath!  Vacuum.  Maybe detail your car to get out the smoke smell (a fresh cut apple under the front seats helps with the odor).  Walk the dog.  If you don't have one, pretend you do and just walk     Change up your routines to reduce the smoking associations and triggers.  Change your furniture around.  Stay away from stressful situations and people.

Don't let thoughts of wanting to smoke rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  Change your mind's direction!  Count backwards from 10,000 or think of boys'/girls' names for each letter of the alphabet. You will need to get through these first days the best that you can.  Stay disciplined about that.  Just get through each one and celebrate a Day WON each evening.

The good news?  It WILL get easier.  As you starve the brain sensors that have multiplied.with nicotine use, they will start to quiet down...the craves will become further apart and then you will realize one afternoon that you didn't think of smoking at ALL that morning  It WILL happen - you just need to give it the time it takes.

For now, just hang in there.  You can do this; we ALL went through what you are going through, and every single one of us will tell you this freedom IS worth it!

Nancy

elvan

I gave all of my smoking paraphernalia to a friend who has no intention of quitting.  I needed them gone & l knew she would take care of that. It IS hard at the beginning but remember that it is a one day at a time journey. You CAN do this & you will learn so much along the way.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen 

indingrl

luckyforbabs and YOU very pretty in pic and your tan looks good on you - CONGRATS on choosing to NOT SUCK ON DEATH STICKS - Yahoooooooo - WAY TO GO

sweetplt

Make Day 1 ... Day Won ...lucky4babs 

Drink lots of water...take some walks and keep close to the support site...You can do this...Colleen 524 DOF 

DonnaMarie

Remember this day when day two arrives. You got this!

Donna

lucky4babs

Thank You

strong people

Today is day 2.....

This is brutal!

I’m the smoking version of hangry

?smangry?

I’m bitchy on the inside

irritable 

anxious

CRAVING the habit