cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Watching COPD

I've mentioned before how a member of my family has a fairly severe case of COPD (and lives with us) and still smoke. It disheartens me every single time I see them go outside to smoke. In the very, very beginning, I wished I could go along, then it grossed me out, and now I'm not sure what I feel. I've talked to them about quitting and it's not even a concept or a plan for them. 

I read about COPD and it sounds like the first order of business to keep it from progressing is to, guess what, quit smoking. Why wouldn't you? Have people accepted that they've already "got it" and don't want to add the stress of quitting to their lives, even with the benefits?

I know the answers. I've quit 100 times. Each time was "the" one. And 99 of those times, I had just one cig and boom, I was a smoker again. I had meant to turn 60 and be a nonsmoker. But, I smoked at 60; I also had bladder cancer and was fighting through pain I've never had in my life before. What causes bladder cancer? Smoking is a huge cause. I guess I'm sort of the pot calling the kettle black. I did, though turn 65 less than a month ago and I'm a nonsmoker. I've done some damage, but seem to have stemmed the tide. 

Anyway, I digress. When I hear them cough every single day, so deep, so "juicy," so constant, so seemingly hard on their body, I just don't understand. 

I'm just venting. I probably know the answers to my questions. I just wish better for people I care about.

Donna

Day 604

why.gif

10 Replies
Barbscloud

We're human.

sweetplt

Hi Donna...like all of us...your family member is just not ready...I am sure it is a thought, but she isn’t ready...all you can do is continue to lead by example...I wish I had more...Hugs my dear...I know it hurts...Colleen 

Strudel

Donna - So Sorry....I know it is so tough to see someone to continue to smoke like this. But - you should be so very proud of yourself! Congrats on your quit! 

indingrl

I so empathize with you Donna - watching my loved ones SUCK ON DEATH STICKS - it is painfully horribly to accept their decision to choose as they continue knowing smoking causes many illnesses - live and let live is very hard to walk out - yet I continue to pray for them and trust MY Lord Jesus - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest- to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you

WEDNESDAY, Jan. 7, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- "Close to half of U.S. adults over 40 who have trouble breathing due to asthma or COPD still continue to smoke, federal health officials reported"

How sad is that?! Addiction is a wicked thing!

DonnaMarie

Half is a huge number. Thanks for the perspective. 

Donna

RoseH

I went to the hospital many times (I have COPD too) when I was smoking and I thought I could not quit too!   However, I was blessed to finally “get it” and I read the book by Allen Carr called, “The Easy Way To Stop Smoking” which really got me to start thinking about what I was doing to myself.  The book even tells us to keep smoking while reading the book...  If you loved one is closed to the idea of quitting, you cannot force them...  It is truly sad to see people die from smoking, but it is their choice...  I know this may sound harsh to you, but all you can do is try...  Speak with them about how this COPD progresses and show them articles on the internet about COPD.  Maybe an appointment with a doctor will help?  All you can do is try to help...  Don’t be too hard on yourself...

DonnaMarie

That book saves lives. I read it the last time I quit (for almost 8 years!) and it made all the difference. I keep a copy on my Kindle reader to this day. 

Donna

maryfreecig

Thanks for sharing this difficult story. Every time these hard facts of smoking are told my smobriety is made a little bit smoker--yet in a way I'd rather not hear it, it's hard. 

Because situations like this are so serious, I just wish the damn tobacco companies were made to pay for three years of intensive treatment, including hospitalization. This addiction is so parasitic on the mind/common sense. It sucks out common sense and leaves one in a mentally paralyzed state believing that one is actually being taken care of by the addiction.

Thankfully you don't have to smoke over this.