cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

shelly765

I am wanting to quit soon. I set my date for 2 weeks out. I suffer from severe anxiety and have smoked for 25 yr off and on. I need help

I need help

6 Replies
indingrl

Hello Shelly765 - Welcome and I was given lots of SUGGESTIONS from those with YEARS of STAYING NON SMOKERS no matter what life throws MY way - please read ALL the blogs of members here and also blogs by

the EX team and Dr Hays - reading all the info offered here to educate YOURSELF about YOUR NICOTINE ADDICTION - please choose what works best for YOU - try some NEW ideas and see how it works for YOU - also when a crave hits YOU -  just bite into a lemon and come here to blog BEFORE YOU take that first puff over YOU - please give us time to respond and there is also video's to watch at whyquit.com and read the FREE book by Joel on NeverTakeAnotherPuffEver -  I am glad for YOU choosing a NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE - I blogged EVERYDAY for MY first 90 days and drank lots of water - I ate applesauce with cinnamon -  which naturally cleans YOUR blood - I exercised everyday with Leslie Sansone aerobic walking dvd at home - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you

elvan

Welcome to EX. I know this might be hard to believe but smoking actually FEEDS anxiety. It really does nothing FOR us, only TO us. I shared your post with YoungAtHeart‌ & she should be along pretty soon to give you some of the advice you are looking for.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Marigene6266

Hello Shelley765 and welcome. When I first started thinking about quitting smoking I too set my quit date about 2 weeks out. I used the time to prepare. I joined this site for one thing. I have not spent a lot of time here but what little bit i have browsed has shown me that the other members are supportive and helpful. I've been a smoker for 38 years and my quit date is approaching soon Aug. 10. I also talked to my doctor and got prescriptions to help me, I'm not saying  you should make the same choice but I felt it was necessary as I also have other health problems that I had to take into consideration. I've completed the quit plan as offered on this site and downloaded the app as well. I have even made myself a list of rewards as I reach each milestone over the next year. I have quit and/or slacked off several times throughout the years but never did I think to reward myself. I already feel a different mindset that I have in the past just because I am prepared. Good Luck! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

When you do the reading I will recommend, you will learn that smoking actually INCREASES anxiety - and only gives you a momentary reprieve until it starts in on you AGAIN!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for obvious reasons.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s shelly765 

You have received some great advice above me...do the readings and the work that has been suggested.  This journey is doable, but it does take planning, education and work...plus keeping close to the support site.  Many of us smoked more than 30 years and many of us suffer from anxiety, etc., I know I was diagnosed some years ago after a brain aneurysm with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder)...smoking doesn’t help our anxiety and the problem we convinced ourselves that it does, instead of working on our problem...I can tell you in the beginning of my quit, I had to take something for anxiety, and slowly learn techniques, ie., breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, yoga, exercise, etc., If you think smoking is helping you with anxiety, but you still have it...it isn’t...so talk to your Doctor and ask him/her what they suggest...and start learning some new techniques to use.  You can do this...and we are here to help you out...

Happy Friday ~ Colleen 613 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Shelly.   Do the preparation and education and you'll be  success.  Decide if you want to use NRT, medications, or quit cold turkey.   We're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime you need encouragement.

Barb

0 Kudos