cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Marigene6266

I'm a diabetic, is there anyone else here a diabetic?

I'm concerned about additional problems connected with my diabetes. I have found that stress and anxiety are major triggers in increasing my blood sugars. And we all know how stressful quitting smoking can be. I cannot use the typical hard candies and other sugary snacks. Any suggestions for that problem? 

Tags (1)
12 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome! Marigene6266‌ there are definitely other diabetics on the site. You can search diabetes or diabetic and you'll find others on the site who have posted things. Search is magnifying glass on the upper right of the page.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  One of my main crave busters was chewing on straws.  Zero calories!

Barb

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Marigene6266 

I am not diabetic, but I do have two brain aneurysm’s, one that had surgery and one that did not...Honestly, I am not allowed to get stress due to the one can burst if my Bp pressure goes up...if I chose not to quit smoking, I would die from the cigarettes, if I chose to quit smoking, I could learn to deal with stress other ways.  Life is full of it...and smoking is truly not helping.  Here are some stress busters, Breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, yoga, taking a walk, etc., You can do this...if you are really concerned, speak to your Doctor about his/her suggestions with quitting and your diabetes’s.  We are here for you, keep close to the support site for help.  Colleen 611 DOF

Be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

Marigene6266

Thank you for your suggestions. I saw my doctor yesterday and discussed everything. She did give me prescriptions  to help with the cravings and anxiety. As the medication is also an anti-depressant I feel like she's given me a triple dose of help and increased my confidence. Depression is another of my problems, a few years ago I was suicidal and honestly that is probably my greatest fear: falling back into that dark bottomless pit. I was simply wondering if anyone found their diabetes to be a factor in the journey to be smoke free.

Barbscloud

If she gave you Welbutrin, I took that also for this quit along with nicotrol inhalers.  With the addition of the support from the site, I've finally quit smoking after many attempts.

Barb

sweetplt

One step at a time hon Marigene6266 so happy you spoke with your Doctor and received some help...keep close to us...~ Colleen 

AnnetteMM

I have type 2 diabetes, controlled with Metformin. I do still need a little bit of sugar after dinner, and I've been quit over 2 years. I mean, you can't cut carbs out entirely, and sugar absolutely helps with cravings. Fake sugar will make your stomach blow up if you have too much.

Marigene6266

I take 2000 mg of metformin daily as well as 15 mg of pioglitazone (generic actos). Added to that is 35 units of Levemir daily and a sliding scale(2-12 units three or four times daily depending on my reading)  Novolin R. My last A1C was 11.2 and I'm due to retest next month. I am concerned that any progress I've made in lowering it will be lost with the stress and anxiety of quitting. Anxiety seems to add 25-100 points to my reading at any given time throughout the day. I'm not much of a candy eater anyway , i'm more of a cake and/or donuts person. Anyway having said all of that, if there is any advice or even a recipe you can offer I would appreciate it. 

AnnetteMM

Sadly, I'm not a baker   And since my A1C is significantly lower, I'm in no position to give advice about what you can eat, either. Have you tried gum?