cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

gail3

lying to myself

got an email from someone who says she's on day 90 and going for the "first day" of no smoking. good luck to her. i understand taking time for this. especially when the world does not want to help in that regard. i've been taking whole days to just work on this - or trying to. i still have to work, go to school, do chores, etc. but after 30odd years of this i think it takes awhile to undo all of it.

and i've been encouraged - especially today when a client said she didn't think i was a smoker. i hope i'm not. but am i lying to myself? i had a good week where i got down to 4 cigarettes and averaged 6 per day. but i can't seem to just get up and go without really being pulled to grab one. and i'm still getting fuzzy headed sometimes. walk into walls kind of thing, where i can't remember what the heck i was doing, going to do, ought to be doing.

so am i lying to myself and just making the motions? can i really get to the end point with this stuff? i don't know but i have a feeling someone does. i keep thinking about that phrase "weak willed, lily-livered", whatever that means, as meaning me. i wish someone would just push me over the edge, in other words, so i don't have to jump.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
gail3

p.s. i didn't smoke the whole time i was writing this stuff up.
0 Kudos

Gail, you're not lying to yourself. Quitting is hard work, but so worth it. I belong to another Chantix support group and this is a post that helped me at the beginning of my quit. Maybe it will help you too.

Barb
d106
~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations!!! You have made a wonderful decision to quit. We were all smokers and we do understand. These tips are from the Chantix users group. Nobody would ever quit or stay quit if it were not better in the non-smoking section of life! Don't ever doubt that... the freedom is unbelievable!

* Use a squeezy ball or hand spring for your hands. Poor hands really need to get the excess energy out.

* Deep breathing

* Pretend smoke (where no one can see!) when it gets bad

* If you are really crawling, stand up, put your arms straight out at shoulder height and swing your arms back and forth. You can even do this sitting down.

* do the http://www.quitsmokingonline.com (free) course

* Remind yourself why you quit - Focus on your reasons for quitting, including the health benefits, improved appearance, money you're saving, and enhanced self-esteem.

* Distract yourself - Get your mind on something else until the craving passes. Do the dishes, concentrate on a crossword puzzle, take a shower, or call a friend. The activity doesn't matter as long as it gets your mind off of cigarettes.

* Get active - Go for a walk, do some jumping jacks or pushups, try some yoga stretches, or run around the block.

* Brush your teeth -The just-brushed, clean feeling can help get rid of cigarette cravings.

* Drink water - Slowly drink a large, cold glass of water. Not only will it help the craving pass, but staying hydrated helps minimize the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

* Find an oral substitute - Keep other things around to pop in your mouth when you're craving a cigarette. Good choices include mints, hard candy, carrot or celery sticks, gum, and sunflower seeds.

* Don't worry too much about weight gain - it is easier to lose a few pounds than to grow a new lung.

* Try to relax - Do something that calms you down, such as taking a warm bath, meditating, reading a book, or practicing deep breathing exercises.

* Close your eyes. Feel whatever part of you is tense and make it relax. Breathe deeply and concentrate on what you are really feeling. Many times we have substituted a smoke for actually fixing a problem or really understanding what we are feeling.

* Sit up straight - this really helps!

* Get out of a tempting situation - Where you are or what you're doing may be triggering the craving. If so, a change of scenery can make all the difference.

* Don't drink alcohol - too many people lose good quits this way!

* Light something else - Instead of lighting a cigarette, light a candle or some incense.

* Reward yourself - Reinforce your victories. Whenever you triumph over a craving, give yourself a reward to keep yourself motivated.

* Use the money that is no longer going to Big Tobacco and buy a new CD, flowers, a model airplane kit, a thick steak, an iPod, expensive body cream, a dinner out or save for a nice vacation (open a new account for this or the money will disappear). Don't say you can't afford it - you spent the money for cigarettes and you can save/spend that same money for fun/pampering.

* Peppermint. Gum, teas, mints. Anything peppermint.

* Create an after dinner ritual of steeping green tea - or some other hot beverage. It really helps when you are wanting the after dinner smoke.

* Holding a straw as you would a cigarette when driving.

* Chewing Gum, bubble gum (really snap and pop it!) But be careful if you have a lot of dental work!

* Walking, take a walk, walk out the frustration...of if you are runner, take a short run.

* Sleep as much as possible. Your body is healing (really healing) and needs extra sleep.

* Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest and exercise. Don't let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. Remember: H.A.L.T. Stay positive!

* Cinnamon sticks! These were a lifesaver. When I didn't need that tube shape anymore, chewing clove buds was helpful. Both give you nice breath, give your mouth something to do and suppress hunger as well as cravings.

* Write and read postings here, sign them with your stats or days quit. Add a statement to the end of all your posts to remind you visually of your goal. Not Smoking!

* Try sipping coffee in the first couple of weeks. And eating a dark chocolate mini bar for a crave.

* Chocolate - lots and lots of Chocolate!

* floss sticks

* Tootsie Roll Pops!!!!

* Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Australian Chewing Sticks as a substitute. They're really strong and you can play with it in your mouth. They come in Cinnamon too.

* If you get really depressed - and many quitters do - talk to your doctor about this. Nicotine acts as an anti-depressant. Your doctor can help. Many times it is a short term solution. Do not smoke!

The QNet Library
http://www.geocities.com/quitnetlibrary/thelibrarydirectory.html

The A-Z Library
http://forums.quitnet.com/community/clubs/club.jtml?club_id=2692

Many people swear by this popular e-book Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Click on this link to download in pdf format:
http://www.opposingdigits.com/ebooks/Easy.Way.To.Stop.Smoking.pdf

REMEMBER: If I have just one I'll be back where I started. Where I started was desperately wishing I would be where I am today.
0 Kudos
jayne3

Gail, it will be 7 months this week that I have been smoke free after 47 years. Every day
is hard for me. It is getting alot easier than at the beginning but I still think every single day
after I finish what I'm doing, I'll have my cig.. Definitely instilled in the brain... I think it's
something I will always have to deal with because I really did love it. This friend of mine said
it had been 40 years for him & he could pick one up in a second. I quit twice before but
this time has to be for good. My Dr. always said DON'T QUIT QUITTING... I did this last
time until I got on Chantix. If you are really serious, you need to say GOODBYE to your
last one. I always wanted to save just one but last time I actually crumbled it up. I knew
there would never be a time when last was really enough. Good Luck. If I can do it, anyone
can! jayne
0 Kudos
gail3

thanks. looks like a lot of people added to that list. and i have my stuff, too - GUMMY BEARS! gotta have 'em. i'm sad to think that people still reach for one mentally after so long. i'm doing some visualizations, too. cool blue water. fresh water. fresh air. fresh anything. AND i discovered that a mint plant growing outside my house is great for chewing on. no sugar. very strong. just one leaf seems to help. but i am trying to stay away from oral gratifications in general. i mean, when did i become such an addict to foods? if all i had to do was keep my mouth shut, no problem. but it's not possible, it seems. thanks again.
0 Kudos