cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Smoke or quit and have a heart attack

My sister sent me to this site. She has been smoke free (cold turkey) for about 2 weeks now. Oh how I admire my baby sister for quitting. She has 3 kids, I have 1. My son hates that I smoke and I do too. Only one problem: I have been overly stressed at work (we fired half our staff, I am working 10-12 hour days!), school (I am a college student) and at home (SIngle mother). I went for a physical last week and my Dr. told me I need to quit stressing or I will have a heart attack but she recommended that I do not try ot quit smoking while I am under so much stress???? Could it be its my pacifier? I also dont want to gain any MORE weight and that is a reason I have not actively tried to quit. Any tricks or suggestions to help me get started? I cannot use Chantix - for medical reasons and Wellbutrion (Zyban) was ineffective. I know this is a psychological addiction but I am hooked. I am 32 and have been smoking for 19 years! I really need help before the stress and/or the smoking send me to an early grave and my son to an orpanage.....
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
patti8

Hi ~ I understand about the stress ~ I am also a single mom with a challenging job - never enough hours in the day or enough money!! I think about quitting every day, more than once....My son is 8 and gets really mad at me about smoking because I've tried and failed so many times ......It's wonderful that your sister has quit !! I would imagine she'll be great inspiration for you (and me today)

I know for me, I need to channel my energy and destress in other ways - my quit date is tomorrow, going to the doc this afternoon and I already know what he's going to say - I'm going to 'hear it out loud' for motiviation! My plan is to exercise when I get home - that's a time I would definately go outside to smoke, that should help with cravings, stress & weight!!!.........I really wish you the best ~ I know it's hard!!!! I'm hoping to kick this for the last time!!

Good luck to you!
0 Kudos

Wow...I was hesitant to read this at first but I am glad you were so brutally honest. You are right, my son is my # 1 priority.......I need to buckle down and set a date....Thanks for the strength and the support...I know I have found a wonderful support network withinh this site.....Good luck to you as well..........I will keep you posted with my progress, feel free to keep in touch with me, I think I will need it! 🙂
0 Kudos

I wish you much luck with your efforts and thank you for being so supportive.....I will indeed look to my sister, you and the other EX's on this site to get me through it......there is safety in numbers as they say......Please keep me posted on your progress! I am rooting for you! YOU CAN DO IT and eventually I will too!
0 Kudos
billie

That is hard. Did your Doc give you any other suggestions for quitting? It seems like a no win situation, smoke bad stress bad. Do you for see your work stress letting up anytime soon? If so maybe wait until then and try to quit. Do you take any anti anxiety or anti depressants? I take an anti anxiety and a mood stabalizer, with out those life for me would be chaos at all times. I know that this is helping me, with chantix also. I wish I could be more help for you. I guess my best advice is to choose the best option for you. Do what you feel is best. Good luck. Billie
0 Kudos
patti8

Hi ~ quick update......so far so good!!! I'm not really experiencing cravings so much today (yet) but I feel really really sleepy - I keep telling myself it's just calming, but I could put my head down on my desk and take a nap!! LOL Tonight I'm gonna have to go work out as soon as I get there......I quit when i was pregnant with my son for a few years - so I know I can do this!!! I've smoked since I was 16 with the exception of a few years, I'm 44 - it's way past time to do this! We're women ~ we're tough ~ and we know when to ask for support!

take care ~ Patti
0 Kudos

Weight gain will go away. Let me explain my situation and hopefully I can give you some strength, after all, that is why we are here, right?

I work a full-time job at 8 hours a day, plus it is a 20 minute drive each way. After lunch, that is over 9 hours. you have me beat on hours worked. I am also a full-time student. I am not a single mother, but I do have a special needs child and another child (imagine twin four year olds). Wellbutrin did not work for me either, and I can't do Chantix (can't afford it). Have you tried meditation to reduce your stress? I have found it and Yoga very effective. Good luck to you.
0 Kudos