cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ishphay

Am I taking too much on at one time?

Hello!  I'm new to the group today and hoping for a smooth as can be transition to being a permanently ex smoker and not go back to it again and again and again year after year.

About a month ago I decided I wanted to try and do what ever I could naturally to lower my blood pressure naturally and change my heart and lung health for the better. I meet with a cardiologist for the first time tomorrow to discuss whether I need any medication but I've found that high blood pressure can be caused by among other ways: smoking, binge drinking, caffeine, salty foods (too much sodium) and being overweight, which are my hurdles.  I had already begun an exercise program months ago and started a meal service program a few weeks ago with bistromd.com for heart healthy foods and to help get me to an ideal weight as well as cut the sodium and unhealthy fats.  I stopped drinking coffee daily and for now alcohol altogether in order to avoid temptations to binge, but mainly because I realize that now is the best time to quit smoking as well because coffee and alcohol wont be a trigger. 

Am I taking too much on at one time?  I'd like to look ahead and see a time where I can moderately with the exception of smoking which I'd like to be permanently quit.  Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Already feeling the withdrawals. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
beazel

For me, my quit was my number 1 priority.

I would not have been able to make that many changes at once.

I've never been a water drinker. But I knew that needed to change because water is a necessary quit tool. (IMO)

Luckily I was able to become a water drinker and there have been so many benefits to adding water to my life.

Only you can answer the question of if it's too much at once.

Hopefully your doctor can give you some guidance to help you achieve your goals in a realistic way.

I do suggest that you start to do some reading, there is a wealth of information to help you better understand this addiction. 

Please stick around and keep us posted.

maryfreecig

You sound very motivated. So what is making you wonder if you are taking too much on at once. You are seeing a need to change your diet, exercise, and you want to quit smoking. If you are motivated all can be done at once. Or soon after one another. There is no crime in taking care of ones health. Lets face it, as we get older we start to obey reality more. 

I changed my diet 10 months ago and I learned that the nutritionists were right--when you practice good eating habits they become normal. It isn't about giving up good stuff, it's about changing for the better.

Beazel is right, only you can answer about taking on too much all at once. Please accept that most agree that stopping smoking is the absolutely the most important thing you can do for your health.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  It's sounds like you've already made some positive changes and have a plan in place.  But only you can decide what works best for you.  When I decided to quit smoking, I tried doing to many things at the same time.  I had to take a step back and look at each challenge individually.  But, we're all different.   

In the meantime, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create your quit plan.  We're here to support you on your journey.

Barb

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...ishphay 

I think it is super that you are already improving your health and now want to quit smoking.  If you haven’t already, read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and start planning for that quit date.  Remember one thing as a smoker, we never find anytime to be the right time, so we have to put the desire and want above everything.  I too, suffer from High blood pressure and smoking was my issue, through the last year along with my BP pills and quitting smoking, I have lowered my Blood pressure and my anxiety.  I think because you have a plan on the other items in your life, it is a fantastic time to plan your quit.  Keep close to the support site, we are here to help...Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 605 DOF 

0 Kudos