cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

buck

Unsupportive Roommate...

So I told my roommate and best friend I was planning to quit and he acted like it was an act of betrayal. We both smoke and it's sort of a bonding thing, we drink, smoke, play video games and such. Has anyone else had a problem with a smoking spouse/roommate who is non supportive and has belittled your goal of quitting? I'm quitting on the 20th of JAN and want this to work so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ben2

A year and a half ago my roomate even went so far as to buy me a pack of my fav. ciggarettes at the time and leave them in the freezer for me, he said "Just in case" i ever wanted to start smoking again. Now i find myself in the same situation, let your friends and evreyone else know your decision, let them know that your resolve is strong and that your not going to change your mind, let them know that it doesnt change anything between your group, and that giving up smoking is your own personal choice. And if you really think about it, what kind of friend doesnt support your decision to better yourself? This is a tricky situation and a real test of your friendships that you share with people. Maybe you'll learn who your real friends are.
0 Kudos
rj_

yea, ask him how he'd feel if he were considering suicide and you encouraged him?

It is your quit, for you, about you, only you, no one but you can end or stop a quit.
check out www.whyquit.com for lots of good education on cold turkey quitting.
Regards, ..RJ Free at Last 501 days after 32+yrs of feeding the addiction.
0 Kudos
elusive

Sorry to say your "best" friend does not realize the magnitude of your decision. Though it may hurt him , but if u dont it will hurt you in the longer run .....choice is urs ...ATB
0 Kudos