cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Walker07

Cigarette replacement

Does anybody else feel the need to replace cigarettes with something else? Ever since I stopped it almost feels like a part of me is missing. A hug part of my day that brought me stress relief is now gone and I feel empty inside  

0 Kudos
10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

What you are feeling is perfectly normal, especially early in your quit. Some have even described it as the loss of a "friend."  OK to grieve for awhile, as long as you keep in mind that nicotine addiction and the health problems it creates have never been a GOOD friend.  They were, though, there when you were lonely or tired or sad or happy, or hungry, or stressed, or angry. 

Part of this journey is learning NEW ways to fill in those blanks.  I had a frozen Hershey Kiss with my morning coffee, went for walks, marched in place, watched YouTube videos, worked to learn a foreign language on Duolingo,.  You might get a crossword puzzle book, or something to read with and after your meals.  You might bring a nice glass of ice water to your computer and come and read and comment here, or go on Twitter to see who you might be interested in following.  Exercise is one of the BEST things you can do.  You can find games to play on your phone.  The idea is to stay extra busy to cope with those feelings of loss.  This takes some adjustment, but after a bit you won't miss them at ALL - I promise!

Just hang in there - one day, one hour at a time in the early days.  It does get easier as you get some time under your belt.

Nancy

WhispersQSMB

Yes, for myself, it's what i had to do to KTQ(keep the quit).. I still had and have the anxious moments that i would normally reach for the cigarette. I first used some candy, after i used a straw until i found exercise filled the void that my best friend the cigarette left. Whenever a bad craving hit i went for a walk, a long walk if it was a bad craving. A friend of mine that was in recovery for alcoholism told me "move a muscle, change a thought" . That was my go to for a while. I needed to walk off /work off some steam

Don't make the mistake of picking up another addiction to replace this one.. Like nancy said, one day at a time..

Barbscloud

Absolutely.   Every activity or emotion involved smoking.  That's why it's so important to learn new behaviors/association to replace smoking.   Walking is great--I would just go out the door and walk a couple of blocks.   I used Sour Patch Kids,  chewing on straws, video games, etc.   For me, I just had to keep moving.  There are so many things you can do instead; it's what works for you.   You've go this one day at a time.

Keep moving forward with your commitment.

Barb

DavesTime

When I quit I had a strong sense that something was "missing."  Like you, I often used cigs as my stress relief (which I've learned, doesn't really relieve stress at all, though when I was a smoker I would have vehemently sworn that it did!)  To this day, I still think about a cigarette when I get really stressed, but I'm to the point now that I don't act on it.  What really helped me was to exercize when I needed something to fill the void I felt. Go for a fast walk or do whatever you do for recreation. It really helped me when I was craving, and still helps  when I get stressed.

Dave

683 DOF

maryfreecig

Yup, I felt a gaping hole in my soul and feared I'd never get over the empty feeling. I did. And am I glad I didn't run back to my addiction. Keep staying smober, keep struggling forward--the void is temporary! Thanks for posting.

sweetplt

Yes and Yes and Yes...we all felt this way...it is part of the journey...learning that Nico is not your friend.  Nico is a bad and abusive relationship...keep saying NOPE and do other healthy things so that you may find a good replacement in your life...don’t believe the lies...every time you say No...Nico gets weaker and you get stronger...

Breath...~ Colleen 601 DOF 

Maki

Yes , but the void will be replaced with so many better things . I highly recommend walking ... seriously it will make such a huge difference . 

Take up a new hobby .. try something you've always wanted to do , but didn't think you could afford it or do it .. 

ie . I took up guitar and singing when I quit smoking ... best thing I ever did . Some take up painting or woodwork ... 

Keep the quit . Start searching for something that might interest your creativity . Seriously smoking causes stress, it doesn't relieve it . That's just one of many lies about this addiction we believed all along . 

I also felt an emptiness when I first quit. It's normal to feel that way when you first let go of a vice. The best thing I did for myself was to stay active. I kept my mind active by playing phone games, reading, and writing, and I kept my body busy by getting things done that I had been putting off for a long time. I cleaned a lot and spent time with my boyfriend/now-fiance, and while that little craving still sat in the back of my mind, I was able to distract myself pretty well. I took things one minute at a time, then an hour, then a day, and the day after that, then a week...and so on and so forth! That emptiness will disappear if you give it time and you will feel the satiety of a life full of freedom before you know it!

4 years of freedom!
AnnetteMM

Nothing "almost" about it! Something IS missing.

I replaced it with crocheting to keep my hands busy.