cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Krack3rJack

The things we thought were true

I had a conversation last night with someone that battles addiction daily, but unlike me, it's not nicotine.  It is food.  She has had life saving surgery and counseling to change her eating.  I have quit smoking.  There are many similarities in our experiences.  I guess addiction is addiction and thus, regardless of vice, carries the characteristics of addiction.  Rather than recap the whole conversation, I thought I would share some things that make us laugh now that we know how silly we were for thinking them.  Here are a few that had us reveling in laughter:

- If I cannot have McDonald's and Coke for breakfast, I will not make it through the day!

- If I cannot smoke before a plane flight, I may have a hard time breathing!

- I look cool with a cigarette

- Fast food really isn't that bad

- There are worse vices than cigarettes, it's OK that I am doing this

- Addict?  That's only for those that abuse illegal drugs and alcohol

- I wouldn't feel so lousy if I had only kept smoking!

These are just a few...please feel free to share any that you have.

Krack3rJack

Starting a 6th poison free week

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

"I can just eat a few of these fries."

"I quit before, I can do it again after I have just this one."

"Who will know if I eat all the ice cream?"

"Who will know if I smoke just one cigarette?"

Good topic!  Congrats on FIVE WEEKS of success!

'Nancy

Barbscloud

"Betcha can't eat just one"   Lays Potato Chips

DavesTime

And they were right!

Maki

Absolutely similarities in all addictions . Good post . 

AnnetteMM

The answer to every addict's dilemma:  I DESERVE THIS!

Krack3rJack

Oooooooh!   All of em are good, but this one really hits home.

indingrl

You can't just eat one Lays potatoe chip

sweetplt

I like this post Krack3rJack I used to drink a Diet Coke for breakfast every morning...Thank God I gave that up 30 some years ago...but then I went to coffee...used to drink a pot...about 10 years ago went to two cups in the morning...I don’t do fast food...I love a cocktail “here and there”...used to like a lot more of them when I smoked...yup Life gets different when we quit, but eventually it gets better...Happy Thursday and Congrats to going on to 6 weeks of Freedom...You go...Colleen 591 DOF 

noetoez

"Just one isn't a big deal"

"It's not like I'm doing it all the time any more, I'm only buying a pack to smoke socially this weekend. I'm not going to keep doing it"

AnnetteMM‌ - I deserve this. Every time I quit again. Every time I started again. Every time I felt like trash. I deserve this resonates.