cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

yano.hrndz

I told myself I'd quit when I turned 30

Hey y'all. I told myself for a few years now that I'd quit all forms of tobacco when I turned 30. I mostly stopped smoking cigarettes last October and switched over to Juul products instead, thinking that it was a step in a better direction. My 30th birthday came and went during quarantine, in April, and I'm still throwing away money every two or three days on a four-pack of pods. I feel stupid because I've been telling myself since I was a kid that I wasn't going to be addicted to nicotine. I deal with depression, anxiety, and this Covid situation has certainly made matters worse. I can only imagine how difficult it will be when I start on my set quit date (7/29) and moving forward. This is my first time committing to quitting. If anyone has any advice, please reach out. Thanks for reading.

7 Replies
sweetplt

Again hello yano.hrndz and Welcome to Ex’s...I wrote on your other post some suggestions to quitting smoking.  Unfortunately, you switched one addiction (smoking) with another (vaping).  Many of us deal with depression and anxiety...if your’s is a medical diagnosis, you should speak to your Doctor and tell him / her you are quitting smoking and how can they help you will your depression/anxiety while you start the quit process...Keep close to the support site.  We are here to help...Colleen 590 DOF

Barbscloud

I responded on your other post also about NRT.

Barb

RoseH

Waiting so far out to quit will just make any of us crazy!  And, in my own humble opinion, we don’t smoke and “wait to become addicted” to the drug, Nicotine...  From my first puff, yano.hrndz,  I was addicted and it took me too long to realize that so I now have COPD which means I have to inhale two drugs each day to keep my lungs clear, as those people, who have never smoked...

Vaping may possibly be worse than smoking.  However, nobody really knows everything about it, and some retail individuals are “modifying it” so that it truly can cause more damage...  I am going to private message you my repost called the “Quit Kit”.  And I think it may help you make a plan to stay quit...  Welcome!  You have come to the right place!  Rosemary

Maki

But instead imagine how much better you will feel once you are quit . Look only at the positives , the negative keeps you addicted . 

Do it !

Get angry at what's holding you back

It is a dependence to break free from that you won't regret l 

Stay here and become part of the family . We care , and if you reach out , we will be there . There is no reason you can't do this . None ! Excuses are addictions bait and temptation it's tease . Stand strong , bring your stubborn on and addiction can't win . 

indingrl

on choosing YOUR NEW NON SMOKER life style - WAY TO GO

noetoez

I am right there with you my friend. I started smoking in my twenties. A lot was going on in that chapter of my life, lot of it wasn't good. I have dealt with anxiety issues since my teen years. I told myself that smoking was helping my anxiety. It wasn't. That I was just going to use it until 30. 30 came and went. I just have to get past (insert upcoming stressful milestone here). That came and went. More than once. 

I too, felt stupid consuming nicotine during quarantine. And also felt the need to consume nicotine during quarantine. COVID is scary. Quarantine is stressful. All of it makes anxiety that more heightened. And so I smoked. And beat myself up. And smoked.

I feel like setting a quite date so far in the future would not be helpful to stress levels. I think I would be more anxious with that length of a build up. But a date is a date. Stick to it. You can do it.

I am on quit day 5. Days 1 to 4 were anxiety overload. I won't lie. But sticking close to this site has been helpful. SO many people here understand those overwhelming feelings of a fresh quit. Stay close. Stay active. Blog. Read. Find something new to do. Put one foot in front of the other.