cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Summer777

Today doesn’t feel like a DOF

I’m now 18 days into my quit.  I’ve had two really bad days in a row where I’m constantly craving.  I did stop chantix about 3 days ago.  It feels like withdrawal all over again.  It’s discouraging that it’s not getting easier like everyone says it will.  

19 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I know you feel like you should be over it already - but you are actually still very early in your journey.  It will be like a roller coaster ride for awhile, with ups and downs and twists and turns.   Don't get discouraged.  It will take the time it takes.

But it WILL get easier.  You just have to be patient.  Change up your routines.  Increase your exercise.  Stay busy and try your best to think of things other than smoking.  These all will hasten the easier!!!

Hang in there for now.

Nancy

Summer777

Nancy, thank you.  I smoked for 24 years and I am 39 years old.  This is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

DavesTime

One thing that I'm curious about.  Why did you stop taking Chantix so early in your quit?  I thought you were supposed to take it far longer than you did.  And....you WILL have days like that, but every day you stay smoke-free those days will become fewer and farther between.  How long and how much did you smoke?  I smoked for over 40 years-- why should I expect to be over the nicotine addiction and (and this was the longer battle for me) the habits and associations I'd built up?  Hang in there, and those days will soon feel more like freedom!

Dave

671 DOF

Summer777

Hi,

I was a pack a day smoker for 24 years.  I quit the Chantix because I already need to deal with learning to be a non smoker.  Chantix was making me more irritated because I couldn’t fall into a deep sleep.  Also, I drink alcohol a little more than I should and it wasn’t a good combination.  I thought that either way I’m not smoking so why stay on Chantix.  

Dee

Summer777

Also, congrats on staying quit!   It’s my goal!  I’m just worried about missing smoking every single day for the rest of my life!

YoungAtHeart

I PROMISE you will not be "missing smoking every single day for the rest of my life!"  It DOES feel like that in the beginning; the battle feels never ending....

but the hard part WILL end.  If it didn't I,  most of us still here with long term quits, would not be looking back on our quits with gratitude that we stuck it out.

This freedom is so wonderful, and worth all it takes to get here.  I quit over eight years ago, and this feeling of freedom from addiction is why I have hung around trying to help all who wish to attain it, too.  I just know you are going to be one of them!!!

Hang in there!

Nancy

DavesTime

You won't miss it it like you are missing it right now.  A big thing that helped and continues to help me was accepting that it wasn't really doing anything for me, that, despite what my addicted self believed, it was a chain that was keeping me from being healthy and free.  Occasionally, often when I'm stressed, the thought that I want the "relief" that I once thought a cigarette/nicotine gave me pops into my head.  But now I recognize that thought for what it is.  I'm not sure I really believed that when I was as early in my quit as you are right now.  My suggestion is that you keep reading the information on addiction/nicotine that is on this site.  Trust me, as one who was exactly where you are, that it DOES get better--MUCH better!

elvan

I remember so vividly how you are feeling. I was so discouraged, l asked my husband who quit drinking over 35 years ago & quit smoking over 30 years ago...AM l ALWAYS going to think about cigarettes ALL the time? I felt like l could think of nothing else. He told me that the best advice he could give me was to pray. He said to get on my knees & ask God to remove the mental obsession. That was pretty unusual advice coming from my husband. I have to admit that l didn’t have great faith in it but l was desperate. I did not want to smoke. He emphasized that l really had to get on my knees or else it would probably not work. I did it, l did do it more than once but not SEVERAL times, l felt something “lift” the first time & when l did it again, l was absolutely convinced that something was different. It has been over six years since l smoked. I have never regretted quitting & l smoked for a very long time. I did not use any medication or any nicotine replacement. You said you stopped the Chantix five days ago...is that what you were supposed to do? I don’t know how long you were on it but l have heard that it can be quite effective. You CAN do this, if you need to take the Chantix longer, it beats smoking. EVERYTHING beats smoking!

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

sweetplt

Hi Summer777 ... this is not an easy journey, but it is doable...although 18 days quit is super, you are still very early in your quit and hard work is still required.  You have smoked many years and it takes time for your body to heal.  Keep busy and keep close to us and keep the quit...the more you say “No to Nicodemon”...the more you become stronger and he becomes weaker...we are here for you...Hoping today is a better day for you.  Colleen 590 DOF