cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Krack3rJack

Am I right to be scared Part II

To help some of you get up to speed, here is a link to the question I posted a few days ago.  

Am I right to be scared? 

I am very grateful to all the responders and all of the advice.  The most common piece of advice was to see my doctor.  That is what I decided to do.  With Covid going on, anything breath related needed to go through a designated clinic dedicated to Covid-19.  Thus I could not see my own doctor, which is fine.  Here is what happened:

- Covid swab - anything breath related gets a Covid swab.  (I do not have Covid-19  )

- Blood Pressure - Stage II Hypertension  (No surprise, already knew)

- Oxygen Saturation - 98

- EKG done because of the shortness of breath feeling  (Normal Sinus rhythm, all good)

- Pharynx examination  (Big tonsils w/ lots of phlegm, no surprise, working with ENT to get them out)

- Breathing Exam  - listened all sorts of ways....fast and deep, slow through nose, and deep breath w/ big blowouts (Clear lungs, no crackling, carbon dioxide expulsion very good)

***Because it was shortness of breath related, the Doc wanted me to go to the ER to have the enzyme test, other blood tests, and a chest xray.  She was terrific!***

ER summary

- Another EKG, All good

- More breathing exams, All good

- No heart attack enzyme present

- Hooked up to a vitals monitor

- Consistent High Blood Pressure

- Oxygen consistently in the 95 - 98 range

- Pulse good

- Chest X-Ray - Radiologist sees zero concerns at this time  (Just FYI, with Covid, all chest x-rays are being run through with a fine tooth comb)

- Stress EKG scheduled as another layer of precaution next Monday

- No presence of a lung blood clot threat in the blood tests

- So what is causing the shortness of breath?

- Anxiety and Withdrawal symptoms

- Phlegm from three sources

- Large tonsils (that will need to be removed)

- Large Sinuses (they will get better with continued smoking cessation)

- Regrowing cilia sending junk up the airway

-  Stress (job situation, daughter missing graduation due to Covid, smoking cessation, and living near the protest          sites

- Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR) can cause shortness of breath and heart attack sensations

To bring it full circle, with some high blood pressure treatment, diet modification, tonsillectomy, exercise under consultation with my doctor, some meditation, and a sleep study determination, it looks like I am A-OK!  I guess I just needed it confirmed.  The anxiety is subsiding and being further into my quit (4th week), I am settling and becoming a bit more comfortable.  Things have been very stirred up and now with a care plan / diagnosis, the anxiousness is getting better. 

A HUGE thank you to the Ex community for your support and advice!  Your consensus was pretty much spot on!  Anxiety, withdrawal, and some other things were feeding my fear which created a monster under my bed.  The medical community helped debunk that, and now i plan to move forward with the care plan.  I am embracing my smoke free world with much excitement, yet I also am not without caution as I know I must be vigilant about NOPE.

Thank you all once again.  I am very grateful for all of you.

10 Replies
Barbscloud

Wow, that was a thorough check-up.   It's so good to have peace of mind and put the fear behind you.  That is such go news.   Knowing how you're feeling is normal and will pass as you move forward on your journey.  Yea!

oh yeah | Trending Gifs | Page 3

Barb

Maki

Well that sounds like a pretty good report . 

One thing I might mention is that after I quit smoking I had acid reflux for a time and it can cause shorteness of breath.

Glad you checked things out . It sounds like you had a pretty thourough check up and that should bring some relief . There seems to be a plan as far as the things that need addressing too so that's great . 

Good job . 

Walking and losing weight and of course medication is helping my bp , bit I'm hoping to be able to drop one of those meds by being proactive . 

Keep the quit , you can do it ! 

YoungAtHeart

I am SO happy you got it all checked out and will keep it all in check going forward.

ALL good!

Keep going with the quit!

Giulia

Good that you got it checked out.  I'll bet you're sleep is already better just from the knowledge you've gained and the reduction in anxiety.  Are you practicing any stress-reducing techniques?  If not, you might pursue that.

Great Job!!!

sweetplt

Actually I feel it is great that you had such a good check up...this means quitting smoking is only making all these things better...I think “You Rock”....Krack3rJack 

~ Colleen 578 DOF 

elvan

GREAT exam and GREAT results.  You sound like you've got this.

Ellen

indingrl

PRAISE MY LORD - ahhhhh what a JOY filled BLOG - YOUR OK - yahoooooo - good job taking care of YOU CONGRATS ON NICOTINE FREEDOM TOO

maryfreecig

Way to go!