cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

PastTense

Back in the Saddle

Quitting smoking is a journey.  My quit journey took a detour and led me off track.

That actually sounds like I was a passenger on the ride and not the pilot and that is just not the case.

I own my actions and I dropped my quit.

I thought I had a pretty good plan.  The COVID situation strained that plan (or gave an excuse to feel strained, but honestly, a little of both).  We started remodelling our house, another strain but still my plan was holding.

And then my darling husband, for whom I was determined to quit, started smoking again.  I did not have the tools to cope with that.  I never even considered that is was a possibility!

For the first time in over 10 years I went from a closet smoker to an out smoker.  At home, anyway.  That was in April.  Here I am, 90 days later, coughing all the damn time, headache all the dam time, and determined to quit this damn habit once and for all.

I have a different plan now.  My husband knows I'm quitting - which was always a secret before.  He is supportive.  I have a quit buddy IRL.  And thank the stars, I have this site.

Back in the saddle, weary, wiser, and ready.

Keep the quit

PT

Day 1

Keep the Quit
PT
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Glad you are back at it!  And - glad you are back with us!

Make a plan NOW what you can do when life's stresses happen!  Will you come here and blog "HELP?"  Will you go for a walk, do a few jumping jacks, march in place, sing out loud or dance to some tunes, find a funny YouTube video, and then another?  Be ready for it - 'cause you know it will happen.

I would ask hubby to keep his smokes, ashtray, lighter and his smoking out of your sight in support of your efforts. 

Let us know how we can help!

Nancy

PastTense

Thanks, Nancy

I have a new plan which pulls from the old and takes into account the new.

Pledging every morning is #1 on the list!

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
indingrl

PT congrats DAY ONE with ALL the experince as a NON SMOKER YOU will succeed and when YOU want to SUCK on DEATH STICK when the next crave HITS get a lemon and bite into the lemon then come here to BLOG -  let us HELP - YOU through the PAIN YOUR heart and mind to be renewed in both -  with OUR love to HELP with tons of HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS -  that WORK -  if YOU choose to work them - try many and give YOUR self room to learn NEW ideas and NEW ways of thinking just for YOU PT  - I am here everyday - it is a must for ME -  I am REALLY needy at this TIME in MY DAYS - MY ma is slowly DYING old worn out body ravaged by diseases of bone rheumatoid arthritis and she at home with MY sister Jackie at her house in TN - the proper name is called HOSPICE the doctor's have done all they can and the stage of HOSPICE is called - rallying end of DEATH stage  - ma is sitting up and eating and drinking and watching tv and talking on phone - 2 weeks ago near DEATH and then - BAM - healthy energy - it was so good to hear and MY husband and I sent ma wild orchids - she got the flowers yesterday - ma is WAITING for her sister to come and say goodbye - WE all will see one ANOTHER in HEAVEN - I known the spiritually I am ok facts Bible based - it is MY humaness that seems to NEED REALLY bad the HELP from other's experienced with the dying MA  - please I am talking about ME - I wanted to SUCK on DEATH sticks - I sucked on lemons wedges and ate the LEMON part not the outer peel YET - then I came here BLOGGED - talked about me wanting to escape MY hell reality - I hate DEATH - I told on MYSELF and HOW I HATE DEATH - and how i ain't getting along with Jackie so I cried out to GOD to fast and pray for her 3 DAYS - I just finished in MY Lord's victory and to YOU PT- a big thanks for HELPING ME to know -  by YOUR experience that SUCKING on a DEATH stick -  will NOT stop MY mama from dying - in HIS love -  I love YOU PT and thank YOU for saving MY NON SMOKER DAY 

Barbscloud

It's always good to hear from you.  You're posts for 90 days worked, so why not come back daily (at least for now).  You don't have to write the wonderful posts you wrote each day--just stop by.  Take the daily pledge and lend your support to others.  You have thought provoking comments to contribute to others on their journey.   

Many of us have had multiple attempts to quit so I don't see those attempts as a waste of time.  We can learn something about ourselves from them.  I learned without understanding this addiction and not having a plan didn't work for me in the past.  And I'm grateful I found the Ex a week prior to  my quit.   Support can be a key ingredient for many quitters. I know turning to the Ex, especially in the early days, got me through some difficult times. 

We're here for you, so reach out if and when you need encouragement.

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome back. I appreciate your clear explanation of your return to smoking. Ex is here for you every day. Congratulations on choosing to quit, making a plan. One day at a time, yes you can.

AnnetteMM

The thing about detours? They always lead you back to the road you were already on. A little wiggle in the pathway, but now you are back on track. Personally, I think the hardest part will be noticing how bad your poor husband stinks.

Congratulations! Welcome home, PT!

Christine13

Thank goodness you are back PastTense.  I wish you the very best, glad you have a better plan in place now.

MarilynH

Welcome home my friend tonight you'll be turning your Day ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come we're all here for you and we're rooting you on, you've got this.....