cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

The Gift of Dopamine

I found that ways of increasing my dopamine levels helped me through the rough first 3-4 Months when relapse is frequent. Did you have this experience? How did you increase Dopamine naturally? What are your dopamine suggestions for newbies? Please join in...a Community Post! LLAP!

6 Replies
sweetplt

Yes I found the same thing helped me...

to increase my dopamine...

1. I walked twice a day.

2. I would watch a comedy and laugh.

3. I worked out at the gym.

4. I tried to not eat too much sugar, otherwise I would bottom out.

5. I did jumping jacks.

6. Meditation.

Great post Thomas Thomas3.20.2010 

~ Colleen 575 DOF 

indingrl

Thanks Thomas for asking - after 90 days MY happy hormone kicked in and I was glad I could cope my life on life's terms - without sucking on death sticks - when at 3 months - my brother in love was killed by drunk driver and I was ask to speak for my sister about him at the wake - I had to ask y'all how to travel out of state the first time without smoking - y'all taught me how and I made it back and had tons of HAPPY HORMONES

YoungAtHeart

CHOCOLATE!

MarilynH

Alot of baking, cleaning and cooking plus many hours watching comedy TV and DVD'S and twice a day weather permitting I'd go for a walk and I watched my grandson Mason 5 days a week he was 5 years old at the time so he kept me pretty busy wow it's hard to believe he's 11 now....

elvan

I was so sick when I quit that I could not do any exercising so I really got my dopamine from this site.  I read blogs every morning and every evening.  When I was finally able to get on a stationary bike, I felt like a new person. I worked out every day, adding a little time each few days.  When I was able to use my friend's pool, I was in heaven.  I could walk back and forth and get in a really intense weekend.  I practiced breathing by blowing a ping pong ball across the pool.  It always make me feel like I could breath so much better.  I wanted to go for walks but I found out very quickly that the only way I could do that was in the water.  I also practiced breathing and amused myself by blowing bubbles.  It was suggested by a respiratory therapist who told me to inhale through my nose and exhale very slowly through pursed lips.  If I exhaled too quickly, there were no bubbles.  It really was quite fun.  Keeping my quit in the day was important and so was the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.

CrazyQuitter

• Listen to music.
  • Do something creative.
  • Go for a walk to alleviate the urge and anxiety.
  • Nicotine replacement therapy if need be.

Do whatever it takes and really want the smoke free lifestyle!

Coping skills are everything!

0 Kudos