cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisa-hamilton

Step by Step

Hi everyone

I've been doing some step work and getting well-acquainted with addiction and it's principles once again. Haven't had an urge or thought of drinking in quite some time, but the smoking is reminding just how much energy one puts into addiction and keeping it satisfied.

Hmmm...satisfied. I am no longer satisfied with smoking. It isn't working for me. Our general plan is to quit and then do the steps, right? But I'm finding I need to take this one step by step, so I've started "the plan" on this website. I need to separate from smoking with calm rather than panic. I think the panic is responsible for the length of time it's taking me to actually quit.

Identifying triggers is interesting. There are so many. I smoking when I'm THINKING!!!, driving, talking on the phone, and so many other things.

Step 2 is next on my list -- believing a higher power can restore me to sanity. I do believe that. I've seen it in action some 10 years ago! I have been disconnected from spirit for some time and am glad to be getting back into the swing of prayer and meditation. Seems like I'm getting ahead of myself perhaps, but I know I believe.

So glad to be in this group!

God bless you all. I'm grateful.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bonnie4

Hey Lisa!
Glad you're here, too. I like the plan on this site as well. It really helped me to look at the addiction the same way I looked at it when I was in the treatment center when I got clean. I have been working the steps on my quitting smoking as well. I am currently on step eight in my recovery from other substances, so I did not go all the way back and officially work steps 1-5 on quitting smoking. Addiction is addiction so I just used the experience, strength and hope I had gained from working those with my sponsor and other recovering addicts earlier in my recovery. I did however, start working on becoming entirely ready by using the plan on this website. Tracking my smokes helped reiterate my insanity and unmanageablity. Learning to separate from my triggers was step two and setting my quit date and sticking to it was step three. This program worked so well for me that I moved my quit date up a week and have been smoke-free since then. Here's the really beautiful part: I no longer have a desire to smoke!!! And it's not just the pink cloud we experience in early recovery. I have been through some tough times and situations in the last couple weeks. In the beginning, I thought about smoking a few times, but believing that I wouldn't always feel that way and just not smoking no matter what happens has been my saving grace.

Welcome and good luck with your quit. I'll be praying for you and here to support you as well!

Bonnie
Two Weeks, One day, Two hours, 17 minutes 28 seconds since quitting, 377 cigarettes not smoked, $106.88 saved
0 Kudos
sherri10

Lisa,

I identify with you totally. I worked the steps on my quit long before I quit. Something that seems to have really helped: I have a medical condition that had to be stabilized before taking away the nicotine. The chemical changes in my body that occurs affects my condition so my doctor actually advised me to wait to quit!

I had to wait for over a year to quit!! I was stabilized this past Spring while I was in school. I decided not to take the chance of getting unstabilized while in school and end up having to withdraw from classes. By the time summer came around, I was champing at the bit to quit!! My doctor wanted me to set my quit date for 2 weeks after school was out. I couldn't wait that long! By the time summer was here, I was so sick of the paranoia and all the other shit that goes with smoking I just wanted to be done with it all!!!

I'm not suggesting you wait so long to quit. But if setting your quit date to some point would you sick of smoking, maybe you should try that. It seems to have worked for me. I had plenty of time to brace myself mentally for the withdrawals that I knew would be coming and to prepare for them.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Days, 17 hours, 1 minute and 31 seconds (33 days). I have saved $404.50 by not smoking 2,022 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/7/2008 1:15 AM
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

Thank you.

I am working on recognizing the triggers right now. Have printed out the forms offered on the plan and am really looking at some of this stuff. Truth is, my urges are sometimes strong, but mostly moderate and weak. It's amazing how much smoking I do just to get from one thing to another and just from boredom or habit, especially while driving! Separation starts Sunday. Need a dose of fortitude.

Wish me courage and discipline.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I see you quit the day after my birthday. I haven't set a date yet. How long should I do the separation thing? Any recommendations?

Have a great day!
0 Kudos