cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Krack3rJack

Am I right to be scared?

OK...I'll admit it.  I am afraid.  I have not talked to anyone about it, so I am going to puke it here.  Just facts on what I am experiencing and how they make me feel.

Prequit info

- Smoked cigarettes with some unsuccessful NRT quits for 33 years 

- Diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder in 2011

- Coping techniques from a psychologist have served me well

- Diagnosed with Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflex (LPR) in 2019

- Taking Omeprazole once daily to control the acid 

- Was not liking the way I was breathing a month or two prior to my quit

-  It was not awful, but it was not exactly pleasant 

I QUIT!!!

- I quit June 8, 2020

- Since then, I have experienced the benefits of breathing easier

- I am also experiencing things that are scaring me: 

- Abdominal gas that feels like a trapped burp until it is able to slip out

-  Makes for very uncomfortable pressure

- Feeling short of breath, but I believe I am breathing fine.  No panting, wheezing, or breathlessness

- Scares me at times, but then I walk around a bit and use anxiety coping techniques or sometimes a burp comes               and the feeling fades away

-  Sleep has changed and it scares me

- Instead of 6-7 hours per night the I would get pre-quit, I am waking pretty much promptly at 4 hours

- I get a feeling that I am short of breath despite decent inhale and exhale that is taking place

- My heart rate increases as a response to this feeling

- Sometimes I can use relaxing techniques and get back to sleep and sometimes I cannot

- Today I got up, had some water, did a big blowout of my lungs just in case, but could not relax

- Sinister thoughts of COPD creep into my head

- IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME????

- Tightness in the throat

- Sometimes I think it's anxiety causing a globus sensation and other times I think I am being overrun with                           phlegm.  

- More sinister thoughts come to mind at times like am I having a heart attack, or heading that direction

- I also realize it could be increased reflux and that my system is possibly in overdrive due the this sudden cold                  turkey change.

So there.  I said it.  I am scared.

13 Replies
RoseH

In my humble opinion, these are signs of withdrawal...  Flatulism...  Feeling short of breath sounds more like anxiety?  I am not a doctor.  You need to talk to your doctor about all these symptoms, please call asap.

Lack of sleep is typical when first quitting.  I got some “natural” sleep aids to use.  However...please ask your doctor what to take to help you sleep...

Smoking kills.  Quitting smoking I don’t think so!  LOL  I am trying to calm you down with a “funny.”  You came to the right place for answers.  However, your doctor is who you should be speaking with...  Please call him or her asap.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Hang on.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, once you talk with your doctor.  That should help you feel better and be able to calm down...  Rosemary

Krack3rJack

Good point Rose about the quitting vs not......very funny. 

maryfreecig

Well, even if you do have problems, you can deal with them one day at a time--and so deal with the fear too. Talk to your Doctor for sure. Why not? He or she sees these symptoms all the time and will advise you best. 

Congratulations on all the great progress you have made in quitting and working for smobriety!

marciem

Hi!  I echo the above, that all those sounds like the early stages of quitting, which is where you are, believe it or not (I know it feels like almost forever, but its early days in the quit process.)  Your symptoms may be amplified by your anxiety/panic disorder, but they are all things we go through when quitting.

Keep in mind... the bad things about quitting (anxiety, feeling short of breath, sleeplessness, extra irritability or moodiness, to name a few) are TEMPORARY.  The benefits, some of which you listed, are PERMANENT and ever-growing exponentially.  I'm almost 8 years quit and still noticing new benefits, and/or stronger benefits.

You might consider talking to your doc about adjusting your anxiety/panic meds for the duration.  You also might ask your health care professional about aids in digestive upsets (flatulence and constipation are common), or try some mild OTC's .  Also walking and exercise can aid in digestion problems.

You are doing great, and I'm so glad you came here and posted!!   This is an adventure and somewhat different for everyone, and YOU can do this!

Barbscloud

As already said, all of these can be symptoms of withdrawal.  I know they may not seem to make sense and we think we should feel better right away.  Remember, you have not just eliminated nicotine from your body, but a multitude of toxic chemicals.  You body is going to react.

That being said, we are not medical personnel.  If you have concerns, please check with your doctor if for no other reason than to ease your concerns.

You're doing fabulous. Be patient with yourself.  This is a physical and psychological journey.  It does take time.

Barb

Christine13

Please check with your Dr.  Don't forget to ask for meds for sleeping, it's important.

You are doing great!!

JACKIE1-25-15

Most of your concerns can be categorized by the usual withdrawal symptoms.  However, if you are not feeling better.  Check with your doc.  Let them know that you have quit smoking.  It could be possible to have some adjustments to your meds.  Of course for medical advice always see a doctor.  We are here to support you. If you want to find more info on any subject do a word search and research for more answers. Magnifying glass is search engine.

Krack3rJack

Jackie - Thank you for your response.  Is there such a thing as unconscious withdrawal?  Specifically, could my body be throwing a tantrum even though my mind is not at all wanting a cigarette?

Krack3rJack

22 days Quit

JACKIE1-25-15

Most definitely you are withdrawing from a drug just like heroin, cocaine, crack meth opioids.  Just hang tough you will make it.