cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Did/Does cutting back work for you?

I always wound back where I started until I had a 100 percent quit day. That was 10 + years ago. How about you?

15 Replies
Barbscloud

Yes it did.  Along with taking Welbutrin prior, I cut down for a week on a strict schedule prior to my quit date. 

YoungAtHeart

Reducing the number per day didn't work at all for me.  If I decided I was only going to smoke a certain number, decreasing over time, I found I was thinking about smoking all the time.  I was bargaining with myself:  "if I smoke an extra now, maybe I can just go to bed earlier, or go longer in between my next two, or..."  Kept me thinking about it ALL the time.  I gave up on trying to do that  I pretty much chain smoked the day before my selected quit date.  Did, though, put all that were left the night before under running water and kept my decided upon quit date.  It was my first and only attempt;  I was successful - and I will be EIGHT years quit on July 4th.

Just as every person is different, so is every route taken to a successful quit, I think.

Good idea for a blog, as usual!

Not2diefor

It didn't work out for me. I have been cutting down and my quit was when the carton would run out. I got very good at the cutting down part but when it came time to stop,  the panic would happen, then the excuses. I have been doing that for years. I have just read Allen Carr's Easy way to quit.  It has changed how I will try this time. And the people here I think will make all the difference for me.  Good luck..

Barbscloud

I think the key to this working is being a "schedule" kind of person.   I did this for 7 days.  One cigarette every hour the first day, then every two hours the second day, and so on.  By the 7th day, I was allowed two cigarettes.   I had to buy another pack to finish this process.  I took what I needed and threw the rest away.  Something else I did that was different- I enjoyed every cigarette.  I didn't lament that it would be my last.  When smoking normally, my mind would wander and often I smoked another cigarette because I didn't even "remember" smoking the last.  I concentrated on the smoking routine and enjoyed every single cigarette.  Worked for me!

beazel

No, it never worked for me. But like every other method, it was worth a try.

Giulia

I'm with YoungAtHeart‌  Similar experience:  I thought about cigarettes ALL the time, and bargained with myself, well if I skip my 4 pm cig I can then have two at 5pm or whatever.  Nancy is fortunate to have had only one experience at this quitting thing.  Most of us go through it numerous times before we attain a lasting quit.  I also agree with Barbscloud‌ that perhaps the key is being a "schedule" type of person.  Although I also thought about cigarettes all the time during the first several weeks of my quit, because there was no bargaining in my mind (my commitment was total) - it wasn't as crazy-making.  I'm also just an all-or-nothing type.  (14 year quit currently, just for reference)

SimplySheri

No, cutting down never worked for me.  I needed to 'cold turkey' it or I believe I would still be serial quitting.  It was the nature of my addiction, I think.  Everyone is different so it's different for everyone but I think you really need to know which will work for you.  Commit to your quit no matter what.  

Margaretd

No cutting back did not help.  My addiction wanted it all or none.  I finally had to do cold turkey, that was the only think that worked for me and believe me, I tried everything.  

Barbscloud

Just a thought.  I know some people suggest delaying the next cigarette when someone is quitting.  Is that different from  cutting down?  Mine was more structured, but it seems the same to me.