cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

fsoko1017

Newbie quitter looking for advice

Hello! I am new to this community and could use some advice. I'm terribly addicted to vaping. I've tried stopping multiple times but cold turkey is almost impossible. That's why I joined this community. I know vaping is different than cigarettes as I can vape literally anywhere. I vape as soon as I wake up until I go to sleep. I'm currently JUULing which I know is one of the worst vapes to quit. Being so young I'm finally at a point where I don't want my health and lungs to be at risk and I feel like I am truly ready. Something else about me is I'm ADD and have an addictive personality, as I moved away from more dangerous addictions I still manifested them into things like vaping. I also want to improve giving more time to myself. I know when quitting you shouldn't do it alone, but I almost never give myself alone time and am constantly talking to people in what I feel is in excess. 

If anyone else has successfully quit vaping (advice from any smokers is appreciated as well) what are some of the things that have helped you most? And are there any skills or distractions that can help with my constantly racing mind?

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You have come to the right place.  There are people here who have just started to break free from nicotine addiction, and there are those of us who have been quit awhile, like me at 8 years in July, who want to help others.  We can provide support, education, tips on preparation and planning and advice to help you along what is, at times, a difficult road to recovery.  You just need to supply the commitment not to vape again NO MATTER WHAT.   

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm I am glad you have decided to seek our help to break free! It isn't easy – but it IS doable!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit at a younger age before all the potential health problems come into play.  They're both nicotine addictions so you should find the information and support on this site useful to achieve your successful quit.  Many successful quitters have picked a quit date and used that time to educate themselves about nicotine addiction and to create plan.  Spend time on the site reading and reach out for support on your journey.   You can do this.  The quitters on this site are proof of that.   We're here to support you.  Begin your journey and reach out any time you need encouragement or want to share your experience.

We're here to celebrate with you!

Barb 

sweetplt

Hi fsoko1017 and Welcome to Ex’s...it does seem that vaping is hard to quit, but not impossible.  Smoking, vaping, ecigs, drinking, gambling all have one thing in common...they are addictions and You are an addict.  I would suggest you to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX (substitute smoking with vaping) and to join the vape group here https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/e-cig-users .. what worked for me and this is my third and final quit from smoking.  I planned for my quit and I educated myself in addiction and I come here daily to get support and to encourage others in their journey.  

If you are concerned because of your ADD, speak to your Doctor who treats you for your illness and see what he/she would suggest that would help in your journey.  You can do it...we are here to help you...Colleen 561 DOF 

maryfreecig

There was a time you were not dependent on nicotine. And you can get to that place again. There is nothing, no circumstance or condition that requires dependency on nicotine. Good news is that your vaping can be unlearned and the dependency undone!!!  Quitting does not require us to be perfect beings, or anywhere near that--thankfully. 

Here is Annette's blog about Juul and quitting: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/AnnetteMM/blog/2019/09/08/how-to-quit-juul-or-vaping-in-ge... 

Welcome to Ex. I hope you find some helpful ideas and support here. Keep working on your quit goal.

Sootie

Hello fsoko1017

I am so glad that maryfreecig‌ provided you with AnnetteMM‌ 's blog on quitting JUUL. I hope you find it helpful. Take advantage of all of the information YoungAtHeart‌ provided for you. We have all learned that the more we know about nicotine addiction the easier it is to quit. Keep close to this site....there is NO better place for support anywhere!

Welcome to EX.....we are all here for each other.

RoseH

Here is a great report from the old Quitnet.com and I think it will help you form a plan to keep your quit.  I also suggest reading the book by Allen Carr called, "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking".  It sure helped me quit, and I smoked for 50 years!  Rosemary

REPOST By @Grammax s. (Unknown date) from the old Quitnet.com

THE QUIT KIT

This will help you make a plan to KEEP your QUIT...

It isn't a matter of just slapping on a patch or chewing some nicotine gum.  Every behavior you can think of is tied to your smoking.  We smoked because we were happy, sad, mad, hurt, tired, sick, bored... etc.

You need to replace those habits.

Take a day to make a plan.  We call it a Quit Kit.  It can be anything you want.  

Get creative and really think about it.

Some things folks have used is nicotine gum.  You can buy regular gum the same size, color and flavor so you can go back and forth between the two.

If you are using the patch, make sure you have an extra patch in the office, in your purse, or in your wallet, for those days when you have forgotten to put one on in the morning.  It happens more than you think!

Have lozenges available for those high stress / high craving times.

Have some Red Vines to 'smoke'.  Or a cut up a straw into thirds...  especially during high trigger times like driving.  Sometimes it feels good to just hold if you are accustomed to always having a smoke in your hand.

Grab your favorite CDs or tapes to put in your car so you can put one in and sing out loud.

My favorite was dancing and singing at the same time.

Your brain cannot do a 3rd thing, so thinking about smoking just disappears...  🙂

To keep your mind and hands busy, go to a local arts/crafts store and look for things to do.  Buy something that interests you; rug hooking kits, scrapbooking stuff, or Christmas stocking kits for the grandkids.  Or, get some coloring books and colored pencils or felt tip pens.  Stained glass, floral, tropical fish or Native American motif coloring books are available everywhere now. They make you want to do a good job.  LOL!  Dora the Explorer would make me want to scribble on her face...  😮

Make a list of everything that needs to be done, or you want to do around the house.  Go through each room and write down everything from cleaning out drawers and closets to painting, rearranging or redecorating.

Same with the garage and yard work...

Once you have your list, break it down into 5-15 minutes segments so nothing becomes overwhelming.

Make baggies of crunchy foods to satisfy your mouth so they are at work and handy to grab...  Carrots, celery, chex mix, pretzel sticks (you can hold those like a cig), gum, etc.   They need to be ready to just grab at any given time.

This is important!  The 3 Post Rule:  When you are craving and really shaky, post and click the “I'm craving and need some help” box.  Wait for at least 3 response posts before you make a decision to purchase cigarettes or to smoke.  Most times, you will be fine once you read the posts (keeps you from dwelling).  If not...post again and wait for 3 more...

Once you have all these things figured out you will be well prepared to handle anything and you don't even have to think...just look at your list…

Keep 1 copy at work, 1 at home, 1 in your purse or wallet, 1 in the car. 

If you did one day, you can do 2.  If you did 3, you can do one more.

No future tripping. You can't do a darn thing about tomorrow until it gets here. Today is a good time to quit but if you feel you can't, then take tomorrow to put together your Quit Kit and quit the day after.

Don't set a quit date out there for 2 weeks, 1 month, etc. All you do is make yourself crazy in your head by stressing over that date.

indingrl

and bite into a lemon the next time YOU want to vape and NICOTINE ADDICTION is NICOTINE ADDICTION - chewing tobbaco - smoking cigarettes - vaping liquid flavored NICOTINE pods - smoking cigars - it all leads to DEATH - congrats on CHOOSING YOUR NEW NON SMOKER life styleWAY TO GO!

RIPMintJuul

Hi! I reached 6 months juul-free on May 23. Like you, nicotine was part of a slew of self-medicating strategies I adopted when I was younger to cope with ADD/ADHD and some comorbid mental health challenges. I transitioned to the Juul after 10 years of smoking cigarettes thinking it would be a good way to quit. It was not. Instead I spent more money and consumed more nicotine than ever before -- like you said, easy access. You can do it anywhere.

The support on this forum was really helpful, but I found it hard to find information or experiences with nicotine replacement. I used the patch and my reason for doing so had more to do with mental health management than a desire to get nicotine out of my body faster. It's a slow quit, and you end up with a few smaller withdrawal periods instead of just one big one. Personally, my ADHD makes it harder to regulate emotions and deal with stress,  so stepping down on the patch softened the blow of withdrawal enough that I could work on retraining myself and building new habits, instead of focusing on managing my mental and emotional wellbeing. Because of my addictive personality, the patch was a better option than gum or lozenges because it took some of the substance control out of my hands.

More so than the patch, following the planning steps and building a quit kit helped me build my confidence before my quit date, and ensured I knew what to do when I had cravings or triggers.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions! You can do this! I'm living proof!

Barbscloud

How is it going fsoko1017 ?   Have you reached a decision on a quit plan?  We're here for you.

Barb

0 Kudos