cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Metamorphosis

The beginning of the quit journey can be very uncomfortable. But here's the thing, You are uncomfortable because of the Addiction! You wouldn't have to do withdrawal if you weren't addicted in  the first place. 

Time seems to drag out in the first days but please remember that you didn't get hooked right away and you won't get clean overnight. A few weeks makes all of the difference. You will feel better soon! The physical withdrawal only takes about 3 days. The mental withdrawal takes just a few weeks for you to figure out how to recover from addictive thoughts. 

Nicotine Addiction doesn't only rob us of health and mind. It robs our sense of Self - our very spirits. Is it any wonder that it takes time to unhook from addiction?  Is it any wonder that we feel like we've lost touch with ourselves by withdrawing? Again, withdrawal is only necessary because of addiction! 

Under that smoke cloud of addiction is the real you! Our Creator heals not only our bodies, but our brains, our selves, our relationships. We are like a butterfly going through metamorphosis. And the emerging butterfly is truly beautiful. 

pastedImage_1.jpg

Every day you come here, may you be reminded of the breathtaking spectacular result of Nicotine Recovery! 

We who have quit smoking will continue to share in every image, every metaphor we can think of,  that YES it is worth it and YES you can do this! 

Each day makes the next more doable. You deserve FREEDOM! Keep stacking those days!

LLAP!

4 Replies
MarilynH

Thanks for sharing another great thought provoking blog post Thomas which is 100 % truth because the longer we're quit the easier it gets....

Giulia

You are uncomfortable because of the Addiction! You wouldn't have to do withdrawal if you weren't addicted in  the first place.

Great point, Thomas.  I had no idea I was "addicted" to cigarettes.  I thought I just "liked" them.  Or thought it was just a bad habit.  How naive can we be?  Pretty naive I'd say.  "I can quit," said I, "I just don't want to right now."  REALLY?  Well when will that "right now" happen?  The answer is NEVER.  Unless we  grasp that this is an addiction.  

The thing is, most of us realize that smoking/vaping/chawing, etc. is not good for us.  We've gotten the message loud and clear.  But.....  then there's always that BUT.  And that's why people come to quit smoking sites like this one.  Common sense and that Best of us - leads us to try to overcome this "thing."  Call it whatever you want to, addiction, bad habit... the fact is nobody would come to this site unless they wanted to stop doing - whatever it is concerning - nicotine and whatever induction method technique they're employing:  vaping, chawing, smoking, NRTs.....

But I will disagree with you on  "You will feel better soon! The physical withdrawal only takes about 3 days. The mental withdrawal takes just a few weeks for you to figure out how to recover from addictive thoughts."  This was not MY experience.  I didn't have much physical withdrawal, but I sure had the mental one.  And it lasted a whole lot longer than just a couple of weeks.  Addictive thoughts, I believe, take a lot longer than just a couple of weeks.  I can understand promoting the philosophy that it only takes a few weeks to recover from both (obviously we want to encourage those new to the journey),  but frankly, from my personal experience I didn't find that true.  I think it takes months to get around the addictive thoughts, if not years.  It takes constant training in re-focusing and constant reiteration of commitment.  If your "take" is true - then why are there long-term quitters relapsing?  

This is just my experience.  I know there are those who have quit, never looked back, never had cravings and just succeeded with their non-smoking lives.  But again, I point out the fact that there are long-term members who are back here once again for another Day One.  So... this is just my point of view. 

But this point of yours I'm putting in Quick Quips‌  "Withdrawal is only necessary because of addiction!"  That just says it all.  if you are going through withdrawal (i.e. cravings) it's because of your addiction to the substance.  When the "wanting" becomes a desperate "needing" you know that you're in trouble and that you have become a slave. 

Thanks for the blog, Thomas.  Have missed you.  

sweetplt

Beautiful Thomas...I just wrote on Sootie’s, but this journey is so much about growth and I finally am feeling like that butterfly...it is so worth it...Have a beautiful day... ~ Colleen 547 DOF 

maryfreecig

IMG_2881.JPG

This little acorn fell last fall, now look at it go!