cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Vlad0006

Chantix Week 2 Side Effects

Hi! I’ve smoked for 15 years on and off and lots on weekends but like 6 on weekdays. I’m physically active but still smoked. I quit four days ago and on Chantix going on day 8. I quit four days after taking Chantix. I don’t have any urges to smoke and have mentally prepared for months to quit and am determined. Here is my issue as I’m sure others have had- side effects. I’m beyond lethargic, irritable, cannot sleep at night even with melatonin, feel dizzy, off, all of it. Moodiness and short fuse are at an extreme as well as depressive moods. I’m wondering if I should stop taking Chantix and just keep fighting on without it? Anyone else quit after one week of using it and quitting? Thank you! 

10 Replies
Barbscloud

First of all welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 4 day quit.

It's really hard for us to answer that for you.  It really is a medical questions.  Some people do stop Chantix because of the side effects.  Being irritable, not sleeping at night, moodiness, etc. can be Chantix side effects, but are also side effects of nicotine withdrawal.   If you're concerned, please check with the prescribing doctor.  

Let us know the outcome.

We're here to support you on your journey.   Reach out if you need encouragement.  

Barb

Vlad0006

Thank you! I’m waiting for my doctor to call me but I think I won’t take the night dose tonight. I’m just afraid the cravings might happen although I’ve been so lucky and haven’t had a craving in about a week now! 

Barbscloud

So happy you contacted your doctor.  I understand being afraid, but cravings are a part of quitting for most of us. It's not easy, but we have to face them head on and cope by learning new behaviors.  Deep breathing really helps and keeping busy.  Can you get some NRT to help with the cravings?   I used aids for my quit.  But don't forget they are aids--you've done the hard part.  

Remember it's one day at a time and you already have successes to be proud of.

Barb

Baymmlee

I’m also using Chantix it’s helped me a lot The first week.  I’ve tried to quit so many times twice now on chantix but stoped taking it after a couple weeks the first time  because I thought I was good but quickly relapsed.  It takes some managing at least for me.  I have to take it after eating or I get sick and I can’t take it to late in the evening or I get restless.   But I’ve found what works for me and talked with my doctor about all this before continuing.  I hope this helps obviously everyone is different and it can be scary not knowing what you’re experiencing.  My doctor was very helpful with talking about my symptoms and educating me and what to look for.  I wish you well! 

SuzyQ411

Such wonderful advice above from your friends here at the EX Vlad0006.. I am so happy you have consuted your Doctor and will be receiving input from him/her. As some have noted, there can be side effects from Chantix so checking with your doctor was the way to go. If you don't hear back from your physician within a day or so, please take the inititive to call back. 

Tanuaj

Hi Vlad and welcome. I took Chantix a few years back and had to stop due to heart palpitations. It made me hyper. Glad your quitting. I have quit many times and the triggers are there from your nicotine receptors. They do go away eventually. They are different for everyone. My doctor has me on Bupropion (Wellbutrin). The pharmacist suggested it because Chantix didn’t work for me. She also told me to take Benadryl at night to sleep and it helps. You could talk to your doctor and see what she says if your interested. I used sweets to sub for cigarettes in the first month. Hope this helps. Tanuaj

Vlad0006

Thanks for all the help! I ended up doing what my doctor said and trying just 0.5 mg per day of the Chantix and I still have no cravings, which is great. Sleep is still disturbed but better with the lower dose because I can actually go back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night. 

Today is my day 14 of no smoking and I’m very happy about that yet I’m in the worst mood ever. Is this normal?? I have zero motivation to do anything, super cranky and moody, and I’m just “mad at the world”. I feel bad for my family because I know I’m not pleasant to be around one bit. I just want to lay on the couch and pout lol Constipation is also the cherry on top of all this depressive like symptoms I’m having... please tell me this will go away because this is no fun and I have no desire for anything...thanks all!

Tanuaj

Hi Vlad and congrats on your 2 weeks! I think the 3 week marker was when I truly felt better and stopped thinking about nicotine. Glad your sleeping better! I got up to earlier and stayed busy to keep me distracted. I try to remind myself that your mind can only think about one thing at a time. I also still have twizzlers as my go to make me feel good treat. oh and I’m almost caffeine free now. I went from 2 pots of regular coffee a day to all decaf now. I still have a coke or caffeinated tea every now and then. My biggest flaw is that I would not ask for help when I had a trigger and would give in and not fight and I smoked. It is a learned lesson. These ladies here will tell you to come here and vent and get help before giving in. It isn’t a sign of weakness. It is just being smart to come and ask for help in a time of need. I think your doing great!!! Have a great day! I’m going outside now to plant cucumbers Tanuaj

Barbscloud

Congrats on 14 days.   I'm glad reducing the Chantix dosage helped.  What your experiencing, moody, cranky, etc. is normal and many quitters also experienced constipation and bloating.  If you search this topic on the site, you'll get some good information from others who experience this.  You're early in your quit, so be patient and take care of yourself right now.  You deserve it.

Here's a letter you can share with your family. Especially if they never smoked!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30778-letter-to-a-loved-one?sr=search&searchId=10a21f11-5... 

Keep up the good work.

Barb