cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

joanne11

cantex

I am going to quit smoking using chantix but i have a few questions that only others who are or have taken it can anwser. My friend and her husband have tried it and both of them got sick when taking it with upset stomach, headach, and others. The symptoms were so bad that they had to take time off work. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and how long did they last? I am alittle hesatant to take it because I cannot afford to loose time off work.
JoAnne
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
carol-hetzler

JoAnne - I've been on Chantix twice (quit for 98 days the first time and 105 days the second). I had a little problem with nausea when I first started the higher dosage pills so my doctor told me to take them after I'd eaten something, even if it was just a piece of toast. That took care of the problem. The headaches aren't that bad usually, I only a had a couple really bad ones but Tylenol will knock them out. Chantix really works and I'm hoping my insurance will approve it a third time for me. I think with it and the support from Become an EX I might actually be able to stay quit this time. I've tried everything else, believe me Chantix is the way to go. Please feel free to contact me if you want more info or just want to talk about quitting in general. I've been smoking for 49 years and that second time on Chantix is the longest I've ever gone without a cigarette! Good Luck and Blessings, Carol
0 Kudos
joanne11

carol,
Thank you for your reply. I hope that it will work for me but being a migraine suffer i am not sure if I can handle the headachs. but thank you for all your help
0 Kudos
courtney14

Hi Joanne -

I have been on the Chantix almost 2 months. I get a little nausea, but not if I take it right after I eat. I would say the worst side effect for me has been the constipation and I have become a little more tired than usual..I too am a migraine sufferer, and I wll say (knock on wood) that since I stopped smoking, I have had NONE. I am starting to think the cigs were what was causing my headaches. I have quit on the lozenges, patch, Zyban, and the Chantix is hands down the best one. Good luck to you!!
0 Kudos
rosa

Chantix has been working fine for me despite becoming nausious if I don't eat before taking it. It's been 47 days since I quit. I have a crave if I drink beer but that's just a trigger I can deal with. No one I know smokes anymore except for my sister and her husband and I had to stay away from thier house for the first couple of weeks. The dreams are kinda entertaining to me. I think I'm not going to continue with a third month of the prescription because it's not covered by my insurance. I think that insurance companies should cover it. Good luck in quitting everyone
0 Kudos
kim21

JoAnne,
I quit with Chantix for three years. I made sure I ate a little something in the morning before I took the pill and knock on wood, I never had any symptoms. I believe that if you think you will have symptoms, you will. Think positive! One thing I did do, was take the second pill early in the afternoon so that I could get a good night sleep. Chantix works! I was only on it for two weeks and never had a urge to smoke again, simply because the thought of a cig made me sick. The seventh day on Chantix I forced myself to have a cig so that I would never forget how horrible it tasted! Good Luck!
0 Kudos
cowgirlnc

Joanne,
The first day that I took Chantix, I guess I didn't eat enough before taking it and gots nauseated but since then, as long as I eat something first, I don't have any problems. I also had a couple of wks. of severe depression but I got to thinking about that and talked to others that had it. We all came to the conclusion that it wasn't the medication causing the depression but the thought of losing our best friend, the cigs. Which makes sense. I have been smoking for 38 yrs and to say goodbye to your best buddy is really hard to do. I'm still smoking but not near as much as I was before the meds. Thank God there is some help out there for us who have tried every other means to quit!!!
0 Kudos
sherry11

JoAnne, I wanted to share my experience with chantix with you, I have been on it 2 1/2 weeks now. I have notice a little more unusual dreams and I do not sleep soundly but then I never do so I can not blame it on the medication. I will say that to me this is a miracle drug. I have never been able to go any length of time without a cigarette but within 1 week of taking the medication I felt the craving was not there. That is not to say the habit wasn't, just the craving wasn't. I have never heard of someone getting ill from the medication but I am not saying it can't happen either, just haven't heard of it.
If you are sincere about quitting then please give it a try. I really don't think you will be sorry you did. I have not quit yet either and it is because I can't stop the habit. I have join EX as a little help in that area. If I have help with the addiction why not take advantage of EX to help with the habit.
I am determined to quit and will take any help available to me.
Good luck with your medication and desire to stop.
0 Kudos