cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Alisyn

First Day Quitting

Today I attempt to quit smoking. I chose this date because its the day after my brothers birthday and I knew that talking on the phone with him yesterday would be hard without smoking. I've been on Wellbutrin for almost 3 weeks in preparation for this. I might also try the patch as well if I am having too hard of a time, but I think my doctor can only prescribe one cessation tool at a time, not sure. I've tried to quit cold turkey several times and have quit for up to 3 years at a time at certain points. I am 37 and started smoking at 15. The last two times I tried to quit it felt like I had a nervous breakdown after about a week or so, just losing it and crying uncontrollably, so I've been afraid to try again since then because I think to myself, I can't afford a breakdown right now. I'm in school so I need to be able to focus and I already struggle with that because I have ADHD as well. I have heard it can be extra hard for ADHD people to quit. That has been a major problem for me quitting in the past, I just zone out, forget details, lose track of time.... I'm so ready to quit. Every day I wake up berating myself for smoking and then go out to have one. I don't want my clothes and hair to smell like cigarettes anymore, I want my mouth not to be dry, I want to enjoy drinking water again. I want to stop thinking about my habit! Today I have a therapy apt. and then I need to catch up on a lot of homework. When I make my weekly journey to the store I will be treating myself to beverages I like, like kombucha, or coconut water, I'll get some gum, and mints as well. My friend sent me a pocket going kind of like a worry stone, it says "your quit, your way". I will carry that in my pocket and think about how they are rooting for me. Thanks for reading! I guess, if anyone has tips on quitting with ADHD or just little things that have helped, let me know. 

Thanks, Alisyn

22 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

There is no "attempt" in quitting smoking.  You either do or do not!    The crying jags, " zone out, forget details, lose track of time" are all symptoms to be expected from nicotine withdrawal and are not unique to those who have ADHD.  They are things most experienced on their quit journeys - and are not (I repeat, NOT) reasons to give in.  The first weeks of a quit suck  - and that is all there is to it.  You just need to make up your mind you are going to deal with all that comes and get through it, knowing it WILL get better......and it WILL get better!  You just need to be patient.  No quit ever killed anyone that I know of - and smoking DOES!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Alisyn

Thank you Nancy. I really like your ideas about changing up routines and places- even the re-arranging furniture. I know that I won't be able to spend time on my porch for awhile, but I can still go on a walk, or go sit in a park if I want to be outside. I think quitting smoking speaks to larger ideas around emotional regulation and not letting my feelings dictate my every move; something I want to work on related to other things in my life as well. Thank you!!!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Alisyn 

So glad you found our site ... so happy you have a plan and made the quit...I couldn’t talk on the phone longer than a couple of minutes when I quit smoking, because this is when I smoked the most.  I set up a jigsaw puzzle so when I had to talk on the phone I kept my hands busy.  Be sure to read the suggested readings that Nancy above me suggested to you.  Also, keep close to the support site...we are here to help...Colleen 536 DOF 

Alisyn

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I like the idea of having go-to's for different activities, a puzzle or maybe a coloring book would be a good thing for being on the phone. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Strudel

Hi Alisyn - welcome to the site! You are in the best place for support - be sure to stick around. I really liked the Carr book which Nancy mentioned. I also took Wellbutrin. I came here after smoking for 40 stupid years. I used the book, the medication, and the wonderful friends I found here - and I quit! That was almost 10 years ago - you can do this! I think most of my success was because of this site - so, like I said - please stay close. Congrats on your quit!! 

Alisyn

Thank you so much for taking the time to wish me well! Congrats on the 10 years smoke free. Thanks for saying the site has helped you so much too. I am not normally active on any social media so it's a little weird to spill my guts, but it feels like a safe and welcoming space. Thank you!

MarilynH

Welcome to the community you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and turn this DAY ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come....

Alisyn

Thank you Marilyn. I'm blown away by this community already. It's really been helping me work through today. Thank you!!

Barbara145

Welcome.  You have come to the right place.  One of my many attempts at quitting smoking was about 20 years ago.  I used the patch, was being followed by a physician with counseling.  I like you describe pretty much lost it.  He prescribed Xanax for me.  I cried everyday for 3 months and I was still working as a nurse.  Through all of that I never took a puff.  After 3 months I drove to the store and bought a carton of cigarettes.  I smoked for another 12 years.  When I heard you could safely use more than one nicotine replacement product at a time my ears perked up.  I began using nicotine gum to cut down on smoking.  After a while I decided to try to quit again with the patch and the gum and along with this site for emotional support, I quit almost 7 years ago.  I never needed Xanax or any meds.  Find your own way.  You can do this.  Quitting smoking for good is an awesome thing.  It is so much more than not smoking.  I grew emotionally, spiritually and not physically  I gained in the very beginning but weigh no more now than I did before quitting.  Congratulations on quitting smoking!