cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minihorses

Pet Adoptions?

The covid-19 pandemic has been so weird for Americans.  We're used to be able to doing pretty much anything, anytime.  In an instant we were told to stay home, keeping a job or your business was not even considered.  Work from home, don't go out without a mask...  People wanted to get a pet since they were home a lot or got a pet for companionship for singles, seniors, to cope with the stress of the pandemic, etc. To be honest, even though I haven't gone out much in years so this stay at home thing isn't new to me but I still wanted to smoke.  I don't know why, I just did.  Animals can actually help us to quit smoking.  Stress relief is one way because if you're enjoying time with your pets and can't stick a smoke in your mouth, dog walking is exercise, and they just love when we might feel overwhelmed.  So I was wondering how many people have adopted a pet since the covid-19 outbreak?

I'll go first.  We were looking to adopt anyway before the pandemic. When it hit it was hard to adopt because the animals were being adopted out so fast the ones you looked at online might be gone in a few hours. We adopted a long hair kitten from the SPCA.  He's almost 8 months old, was pulled from a feral cat society with his brothers and sisters when they where about 3 months old but they couldn't get mamma.  He had severe bordetella (Respiratory disease) had worms and of course loaded in fleas. His foster family got him cleaned up groomed, parasites and bordetella treated, and loved him. He was socialized with their other foster kitties, the family's dogs and cat, and around kids. When he got here we were extremely surprised at how quickly he adapted and how well our 3 other cats accepted him.  He trusted them before he trusted us. We're still working on trust with us but he's coming around nicely.  Here's our new family member, Panzer (aka Floof):

Panzer01.jpg

Panzer02.jpg

Post your pets if you recently adopted one. I'd love to see anyone's new fur babies!

Tags (1)
21 Replies
sweetplt

Oh my, Panzer is so beautiful...looks right at home minihorses ... so glad he is adapting...I would love to adopt a kitty, but a few things going on right now, so we must wait a bit...but when I am ready will adopt from spca...

Thanks for sharing...Enjoy your new fluffy ball of sunshine...be safe and be well...Colleen 534 DOF 

minihorses

I usually get from private rescues but the spca was so overrun we decided that would be best and since most were in foster homes we could make room for more to be placed in foster care.  He's a big love for sure.  And he actually likes the vacuum cleaner!

SuzyQ411

How amazing minihorses‌ that Pranzer actually likes the vacuum cleanerII

I've had oodles of pet cats ever since I was a kid and all them would run like crazy once they heard the Hoover running. My present cat, Flurry, doesn't even wait for me to turn it on before he flees for a hidden area. Just the sight of it and he's off like a shot! (And he's deaf so it's not the sound that bothers him; I think it's his interpretation of this huge thing coming to get him!)

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

I love your new kitty and have been urged to volunteer at the SPCA by Flurry's foster mom. But, I am such a sucker for itty bitty kitties that I'm sure I'd soon be evicted from my apartment for being over-run with kittens! 

Have fun with Pander! He has such a beautiful shiny coat. I'm in love with him just by seeing his picture 

cat lady.jpg

This could be me

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

Panzer (Floof) is silken and so pretty minihorses‌ and I'm thankful for you and for him that he was able to be trained to release his feral ways. I love his white bib under his chin! I have an SPCA cat named Flurry whom I've had for about 4 years now. Since I rent, a 2nd cat is not an option for me. But Flurry and I are fine with just the two of us!

minihorses

I love my rescues. Something about the 'underdogs' that I just can't help wanting most of.  Our first dog came from an SPCA and it took 2 employees and me just to get her out of the kennel to go outside on the grounds.  Cats were either strays here or rescued. Second dog I didn't technically rescue but the family I got him from had to move from their house to an apartment before their new house was finished being built.  Our third dog blinded himself in one eye at about 8 months old when my 'follow my nose' lab stuck his snout in a garden and met a dowel, blind horse, rescued and raised ducks.  One man's 'trash' is another man's lottery win (gold is worthless these days)  

PrimeNumberJD

Resized_Resized_20200517_151816.jpegNot even knowing it was adoption day, we picked up this sweet girl over the weekend. Mountain Cur that we named Liberty, she is in heat and it will be a bit before we can get her fixed (hence the diaper). 

SuzyQ411

Liberty. What a sweetheart. Too bad she wasn't spayed before she was offered up for adoption. Many SPCA's do that as a routine measure to help with animal population control... Since I'm not familiar with the Mountain Cur breed I just googled and learned they are great hunting dogs and track/tree small game. And that she will also be protective of you. Looks like your bonding has already started!!

PrimeNumberJD

It has been so hard to adopt lately, the rescue we went to announced 8 dogs the Friday night, we got there at 11 (when they opened) and found out people have been around lined up since 9. She wasn't with a family yet (she was our number 1 of 2) but there were a bunch of people waiting. They adopted every dog except 1 that day and he went Tuesday (the next day they opened). Usually they do that (by law it is supposed to be done here within 30 days), we have $100 deposit that we get back when it is complete.

She has already settled in and definitely is a great alert dog, attentive in her sleep too. Our carpets needed to be replaced anyway, which is why we adopted now versus after that!