cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zak1314

Smelling smoke

Has anyone walked into someone's apartment and smelled cigarette smoke and felt a lil bit of anxiety? That's how I felt today when I went to my mother's house to put together a dinning room table because she smokes and felt anxious I felt better when she turned on the fan and yesterday had a cup of coffee for the first time since quitting smoking and same thing happened my chest felt tight and I felt a rush .. Didn't like the feeling.. So I won't be having anymore coffee for awhile. 

13 Replies
sweetplt

Zak1314 Yes ... in the beginning of my quit ... I couldn’t look at someone smoking and if I smelled it ... I had to get away from the place...  Honestly, coffee can be bad for those suffering anxiety and after we quit it seems we are hyper sensitive to caffeine...I can drink coffee now...but no more then two cups...maybe try decaf tea... the good part of all of this ... you are staying smoke free...so you are doing great...be sure to stay close and relax this evening...do something that will take your mind off your anxiety...You got this...Colleen 538 DOF 

Zak1314

I will sweetplt. I'll stick to my green tea and lemon from now on..

YoungAtHeart

TWO tests and you passed BOTH of them.

A++ for you for this day of your quit!

beazel

Yes, I did. Except it was a lot of anxiety.

My first Thanksgiving was the hardest day of my quit - most of my relatives smoke. I walked into the house with 4 people smoking in the kitchen (that's the first room upon entering the side door)

I went out on the porch and cried several times that day...it was horrible.

Hope you're feeling better. The days are adding up!! Great job!!!

Alisyn

I'm on day 3 and I feel like I can't even see someone smoking, in real life or on tv. I've avoided face-timing my family in the past couple days because we'd always smoke on those calls. Personally I feel that I need to avoid those situations if possible for a little while until I feel a bit more stable. Same reason I won't let myself have an alcoholic drink right now, too much association. I also feel the same about caffeine even though I feel like I need it because I daze out. Sounds like you got through a really tough moment which is great! Keep up the good work! I'm rooting for you.

Zak1314

I to definitely avoid having alcoholic drink's as well. Because I use to smoke at least a pack while drinking..That's why i waited to have coffee again because i would have a cigarette with my  cup of coffee.. But I'll stick to my green tea and lemon for now.. I'll try coffee again in 4 month's . Thank you for the encouraging words  . And good luck with your quit you can do it !

MarilynH

You are doing super fantastic with your awesome quit journey YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come.....

Alisyn

Thank you

elvan

My tolerance to caffeine went way down when I quit smoking and I had to restrict my coffee intake to one cup a day from a full pot.  I also avoid caffeine after 2:00 PM so that my sleep is not disturbed.  I don't like being around smokers inside and I really avoid that.  I think it's normal to have an anxious reaction to the smell of smoke.

You are doing great, keep it up.  You might try drinking green tea instead of coffee, it still has caffeine but, for some reason, doesn't make me feel wired.

Ellen