cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanuaj

Osteoarthritis

Does anyone have any comments about osteoarthritis? Yes have it done n my joints. I have an appointment on the 28th. It will s painful. Love be to hear from others.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
33 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I think most of us of a certain age have it - and I know that smoking doesn't help, but that's about my only knowledge about it. If you do a search with the magnifying glass (upper right) you can find blogs with it included in the discussion.  I hope others will respond.  If you have specific questions, it might help the discussion of you include them.

Sorry your joints are painful!  Smoking won't help that!

Nancy

Tanuaj

I did the search Thank you. Didn’t know I could do that. Well I also have done a lot of hard physical labor and it’s taking its toll.

YoungAtHeart

Join the club! 

STAY ACTIVE they said.  So I cleared a small forest with a hand saw, a shovel, a rake and a hand tiller.  STAY ACTIVE they said.  So I scraped wallpaper off the walls of three rooms in my house from horse hair plaster, an inch at a time,  from walls that were 10 feet tall.  STAY ACTIVE they said.  So I painted every room in my house, including using a brush on the ceilings of two with tile.  STAY ACTIVE they said.  So I hand tilled flower gardens and lawn areas for seed. 

STAY ACTIVE they said.  So I walked every day in the winter for at least 30 minutes, and swam laps every day in the summer for 45 minutes.

I plumb wore myself OUT, I think, and am now paying the price.  Nobody SAID that joints, in fact, have a finite lifespan!!!!!!

STAY ACTIVE - phooey!

Tanuaj

I will so agree with that. I am actually on leave from work and I am hesitant to go back. I want to see what this Doctor says. My husband says it’s time to slow down. I am always busy doing something. At least I have quit smoking and I learned how to speak up when people trigger me. 

indingrl

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I don't have it yet.  I just had a bone density test in December.   My mother had it and it actually began her time in assisted living.  She was just standing in the basement and collapsed.  Both of her femurs fractured.  At 92 she had two major surgeries to repair them.  She actually did walk for some time after that.  

Of course nicotine and toxins effect bone health.  What doesn't smoking impact?

Exercise is great for your bones unless it's excessive.  I'm curious, have you found literature that physical activity over the years is a cause for osteoarthritis.   I couldn't find anything that listed that as one of the causes.  

Barb

Tanuaj

Well I suppose it depends on what kind of arthritis you have as to what work or exercises you do. I hope this bone doctor can tell me more specifically what type of OA I have. I have been to PT and used tens units with them. I left in more pain than I went in with. My doctor used manipulation for my hip and spine. Still I am in pain before I get home. I work and take NSAIDS and Tylenol and steroids when they want me too but still have pain. I went to Surgeon and had Cortisone shot in S1 joint and still pain. MRI shows inflammation so they sent me to Rheumatoid doctor and she said it wasn’t Rheumatoid. So now I go to another doctor. I overuse my body and I’m paying for it. Sorry I digress. The Mayo Clinic says not too over do it. I just need to realize. Now they also said that aquatic exercises are good. But I need a pool, lol.

elvan

I have rheumatoid arthritis but I suspect I have osteoarthritis in my back and hips.  I did have a bone scan and I have osteoporosis but it hasn't gotten any worse since the last scan five years ago.  I hope you find the answer, working out in a pool is wonderful, I also use a stationary bike when it's not pool weather.  Staying active is important but not to the point of injury.

Ellen

Tanuaj

My doctor did tell me to start taking caltrate. We just have to listen to our bodies. I know that I just read that sugar replacements change the good bacteria in your gut. Who knew? Not me. So now I’m going to make sure I eat my yogurt on a regular basis. I told my husband that I’d like to get a bike. Well, hopefully if I slow down some it will make a difference.