cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zak1314

Sleeplessness

Going into 6 weeks of quit cold Turkey and the not sleeping well is coming back like the 1st and 2nd week ..Why is this happening? I need to sleep because I get up at 2 in the am for work  . And the anxiousness short of breath is as well .. thought is would all be subsiding by now.. 

7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

It may not feel like it, but you are still fairly early in your journey and this is a normal withdrawal symptom as your body adjusts to life without the drug.  Some things I suggest:

*  reduce caffeine.  It has a greater effect on you after you quit.  Try not to have any at least 6 hours before your bedtime.

*  be sure your sleeping room is cool and very dark.

*  The supplement Melatonin might help.  You can get this, too, by warming up a bit of milk (add vanilla and a bit of sugar if you don't like the taste) in addition to OTC.

*  Turn off all electronics at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.  Try a meditation tape instead.

*  Try slow/deep breathing to reduce anxiety and to help you relax to get to sleep.

*  If you can take it, Benadryl has a side effect of sleepiness.

*  While I have never tried counting sheep, I have tried to think of cities or girls' names or boys' names for each letter of the alphabet when I get into bed.  It clears your mind of extraneous worries.

Hope one of these helps.  This WILL pass - hang in there for now!!!

Nancy

Zak1314

Thank you so much for your recommendations.  I will try some of them and let you know how it goes.. 

sweetplt

Nancy gave you great advice Zak1314 ... I commend you for working so hard for your quit...know...”this too shall pass”... Colleen 529 DOF 

Barbscloud

I believe I've suggested this before.  There are meditation videos on YouTube to help you sleep.  I often put one on when I go to bed.   I like Jason Stephenson.  Give it a try--they're very relaxing.

Barb

Zak1314

I have but always wake up an hr later .. Just not sleeping soundly. 

RoseH

Every time you lapse and start over again...  it is a brand new quit, in many ways...  If you don’t have any.  If you don’t buy any.  If you don’t borrow any.  If you don’t beg any...  you will win!

PrimeNumberJD

"This to shall come to pass" and it will eventually.  

I always noted sleeplessness as a side effect of quitting. I found that even though I didn't sleep as long,  I always felt like I slept the same (woke up feeling about the same). Perhaps key in on that. 

Try to wear yourself out, workout or go for a walk. Whatever is within your ability. If you don't, you will eventually adjust anyway! Keep it going!