cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

imepiphany

Has anyone used Chantix?

Hi everyone,

New here...again...I registered what appears to be six years ago but did not actively engage.  I really am ready now so I'm looking for all the help I can get.  My doctor prescribed Chantix for me about 6 months ago.  I filled it but did not start it.  Does anyone have any experience with it they can share?  Thanks!

12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome back to Ex’s imepiphany ... I can’t help with the chantix...but someone will come along and help...this support site and it’s people are here to help...be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... plan, gain knowledge and work hard...you can do this...Colleen 526 DOF 

imepiphany

Thanks, Colleen.  I'm getting used to the site and I see folks are very helpful and encouraging.  I realize I need help.  

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back  to the community!

I used Chantix, had none of the side effects that scare so many off, quit successfully on my first and only attempt at it.   I was told by my doctor to start taking it and quit about 10 days later.  I did - and that was almost eight years ago.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

imepiphany

Thanks Nancy!  A lot of really good tips.I'm pretty sure I'll have to give up coffee but I like your suggestion.  Glad to hear you had success with Chantix.  Reading about it does concern me.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  I tried Chantix once and it didn't agree with me, but others have used it successfully to quit.  Do you have a quit date in sight?   You will need to take the Chantix while you continue to smoke at first.  In the meantime continue to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and work on your quit plan.  We're here to support you on the your journey, so just reach out if you need encouragement or to share your journey.

Barb

imepiphany

Thanks for responding, Barb.  I set my quit date the day after Memorial Day and I'm putting my quit plan together.  So many helpful advice from everyone and much needed support.  

BarbieGene

I used Chantix with no problems. At first it seemed to be doing its job, it does help with not even thinking about it.   After 2 months though I felt like it was not doing anything.  So asked for something else.

And I don't think that is doing me any good either   I did use nicotine gum only when the crave got to bad for like two months.  But be careful with that, people have come addicted to the gum. 

You still have to have will power and fight for quit no matter what.  

Stay strong!  

Barbiegene

imepiphany

Thanks for the support BarbieGene.  I'm getting tired of saying the same thing day after day, year after year.  I NEED to do this!

KMC56

That's was exactly my mindset...soo tired of saying, when I turn 30,..40,...50..than dang 60...quit 4 months before my 60th...

I did use Chantix..no problems with me, but bottom line...got to get the head in the game..and QUIT!!

Now I done with the would of, could of...4 years FREE..not one glance back.

You can so do this..,were all here for you!

Kathy