cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DaniDesi

Week 1 Quitting

I'm on day three. The struggle is real. What helped you get or helps you go through the first week. I quit cold turkey. Was smoking a pod or more a day. When I ran out, I stopped. I'm not taking any medications or wearing the patch or chewing the gum. What helps you?

5 Replies
AnnetteMM

The one thing that helped me the MOST was great fragrances. Still keeps me sane, over 2 years later.

Find the one fragrance that lifts your spirit, and breathe it in deeply. Dopamine hit!

Now imagine it ruined with cigarette smoke.

There ya go.

YoungAtHeart

I played Angry Birds and ate frozen Hershey Kisses the first few days of my quit.  Keeping your mind on something else is KEY!  Go for a walk if you can, then go for ANOTHER one.  Take slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each.  You can use this to practice.

200.gif

Change up your routines, sip ice cold water, go for  ANOTHER walk, or march in place, or do a few sets of steps.

Get through these first few days the best you can.  It WILL get easier!

Nancy

Barbscloud

We all have our go to's.  I walked a lot, chewed on straws, video games, and Sour Patch Kids.   Keeping busy was key for me.  Stay close right now.

Barb

sweetplt

I answered in your last post some suggestions...but for me...my go to’s were doing a jigsaw puzzle, taking a walk outside, praying, knitting a sweater, reading a book, meditation, etc., Actually quitting smoking opens new doors to things/hobbies...I am now learning spanish since first of the year on Duolingo...oh if it gets really bad...take a shower...you won’t smoke...Colleen 526 DOF 

elvan

I didn't have an issue the first week because I was really sick and all I could think about was trying to BREATHE.  Once I started craving, I ate Sour Patch kids, frozen cherries and blueberries and I drank a LOT of water.  I could not begin exercising for a while because my breathing was so bad.  Once I was able to use a stationary bike, I was amazed at how much better it made me feel.  The thing to remember is that it WILL get easier, believe me, I believed it when they told me the same thing.  I came to this site every morning and every evening and I read blogs and commented and asked for advice, when it was offered, I gratefully took it.  I also used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever and said it over and over again.  I kept as busy as I could and I kept reminding myself that smoking never REALLY did anything FOR me, just TO me.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen