cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jemoda

I can't do it

I moved my quilt date up a week because I was feeling confident.  8 hours into it, i'm craving wildly and thinking I don't need to quit after all.  Im never going to be able to quit even with everything in place

I don't want to do any of the cravings busters.  I want to smoke. 

16 Replies
RoseH

Everyone feels like you when they first quit!  It is called Addiction to Nicotine...  I smoked for 50 years plus and I am smoke free and feeling complete!  Now “get a grip” because you are panicking...  Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health!  You are in the right place and you have lots of support here.  Please rethink this whole situation.  Be brave!  Be a positive thinker!  Why did you want to quit?  Write it down.  You can do this!

RoseH

REPOST By @Grammax s. (Unknown date) from the old Quitnet.com

THE QUIT KIT

This will help you make a plan to KEEP your QUIT...

It isn't a matter of just slapping on a patch or chewing some nicotine gum.  Every behavior you can think of is tied to your smoking.  We smoked because we were happy, sad, mad, hurt, tired, sick, bored... etc.

You need to replace those habits.

Take a day to make a plan.  We call it a Quit Kit.  It can be anything you want.  

Get creative and really think about it.

Some things folks have used is nicotine gum.  You can buy regular gum the same size, color and flavor so you can go back and forth between the two.

If you are using the patch, make sure you have an extra patch in the office, in your purse, or in your wallet, for those days when you have forgotten to put one on in the morning.  It happens more than you think!

Have lozenges available for those high stress / high craving times.

Have some Red Vines to 'smoke'.  Or a cut up a straw into thirds...  especially during high trigger times like driving.  Sometimes it feels good to just hold if you are accustomed to always having a smoke in your hand.

Grab your favorite CDs or tapes to put in your car so you can put one in and sing out loud.

My favorite was dancing and singing at the same time.

Your brain cannot do a 3rd thing, so thinking about smoking just disappears...  🙂

To keep your mind and hands busy, go to a local arts/crafts store and look for things to do.  Buy something that interests you; rug hooking kits, scrapbooking stuff, or Christmas stocking kits for the grandkids.  Or, get some coloring books and colored pencils or felt tip pens.  Stained glass, floral, tropical fish or Native American motif coloring books are available everywhere now. They make you want to do a good job.  LOL!  Dora the Explorer would make me want to scribble on her face...  😮

Make a list of everything that needs to be done, or you want to do around the house.  Go through each room and write down everything from cleaning out drawers and closets to painting, rearranging or redecorating.

Same with the garage and yard work...

Once you have your list, break it down into 5-15 minutes segments so nothing becomes overwhelming.

Make baggies of crunchy foods to satisfy your mouth so they are at work and handy to grab...  Carrots, celery, chex mix, pretzel sticks (you can hold those like a cig), gum, etc.   They need to be ready to just grab at any given time.

This is important!  The 3 Post Rule:  When you are craving and really shaky, post and click the “I'm craving and need some help” box.  Wait for at least 3 response posts before you make a decision to purchase cigarettes or to smoke.  Most times, you will be fine once you read the posts (keeps you from dwelling).  If not...post again and wait for 3 more...

Once you have all these things figured out you will be well prepared to handle anything and you don't even have to think...just look at your list…

Keep 1 copy at work, 1 at home, 1 in your purse or wallet, 1 in the car. 

If you did one day, you can do 2.  If you did 3, you can do one more.

No future tripping. You can't do a darn thing about tomorrow until it gets here. Today is a good time to quit but if you feel you can't, then take tomorrow to put together your Quit Kit and quit the day after.

Don't set a quit date out there for 2 weeks, 1 month, etc. All you do is make yourself crazy in your head by stressing over that date.

anaussiemom

Jemoda  You can quit.  You will quit!  Please don't stop quiting!

yyjcxkjhyk6nvhoo6ytm.jpg

sweetplt

You can do this Jemoda ...just get through the moment...hang in there...many of us felt that way in the early days of our quit, punch a pillow...hon I am sending some good quit vibes your way...want this, more than you want to smoke...~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

Calm down and take some deep breathes.  You've been doing the reading and working on a plan.  Yes, you want to smoke.  Not only are we addicted, but it's what we do to cope with everything.   You're over 8 hours in and on your way to your first day smoke free.  Tell yourself that you can make it one day.  With that one day behind you, your confidence will go up.  Stay close today and reach out before you do anything you'll regret.  

Get busy around the house, go for a walk, etc.  Keep moving today!

You can do this.  I know you can.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

You made the decision - now get busy and honor it!  Just quit an hour, or five minutes at a time.  Then - do it again.  Get through today the best you can.  Most of us felt exactly like you do right now - and we just kept at it!  You can, too!

Think how wonderful life is going to be when you can have a good belly laugh and not almost hack up a lung after, and do a set of stairs without gasping for breath, and all the extra $$$ in your pocket to treat yourself!

Read, read and read some more here about others' experiences and what helped.  There might be a gem that will shine for you, too!

Don't give yourself the option to smoke.  Just DON'T!

How are you doing THIS minute?

Nancy

maryfreecig

I don't want to do any of the craving busters.

I hear ya. The addiction is weird. All seems well while the nicotine was still in us. Gone. And, suddenly life is not worth it without a cigarette. You are your own best advocate, and learning to use your own voice to talk back to "I can't do it" thoughts. This is how your smobriety grows...one bit at a time.

I remember cleaning cupboards one day early on in my quit (Oct 2013). I felt so miserable about having to choose a craving buster over a grand and wonderful cigarette. I thought I would be miserable forever. Addiction is like that--in order to kill it, you have to face your fear and doubt and kick it in the @ss. One day at a time of course.

Quitting Cigarettes Journal : Dear Me; The letter I hated to write   Here is the letter I wrote to myself before I quit. I didn't mean it, but I wanted to.

Quitting Cigarettes Journal : Once upon a journey Here is a blog with a video--how I felt about smoking and quitting two and a half years later

I know you are anxious, incredibly anxious but getting through this can lead you to feeling more powerful than you ever felt with a cigarette. Yes you can do this one hour at a time.

MarilynH

You can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time deep breaths and know that you can do this quit it's definetly not easy by any stretch of the imagination in those early days and weeks of quitting smoking BUT thankfully with commitment and perseverance you will make it through the roller coaster ups and downs of withdrawals and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to that good place in your quit where you realize how much better life is without the crutch of cigarettes BUT first you must continue to move forward stacking up those precious DOF -Days Of Freedom, you can turn your DAY ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come keep choosing Freedom because it takes time to relearn life without the smokes BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free. Jemoda

Barbara145

You did the right thing coming here.  You CAN do this.  One day at a time.