cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Shar0n

Diagnosis + Forced Quitting

A week ago I was diagnosed with Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma.  Not only am I waiting anxiously for an appointment with an Oncologist, I live in a country that has banned smoking during the Coronavirus Lockdown. I have been forced to quit and am falling apart. I need help.

22 Replies
Maki

Hi SharOn . I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis . 

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do . 

A support group I think will really help you . 

Read and post and ask questions as often as you need to  .  Post help in your post and many will come to help you through .  There is also a pledge you can join , as we are stronger in numbers and support . There is a search engine here as well if you need information . Just type in things and it can direct you to posts made by various quitters both present and past . 

You could look up HALT , and the five Ds .

Another great resource is a site called Verywellmind.

At  bottom of the page are very helpful tools , as well as the Mayp clinic Blog . 

Im glad you are here . 

One day at a time . One step at a time . 

Dont let it overwhelm you , I know a lot of info all at once , but you can do this . 

Shar0n

Thank you.
While I know quitting smoking is good considering my health status, I am wondering whether quitting so abruptly will negatively affect my health.  I landed in the ER with that they said is a panic/anxiety attack two days ago.  

maryfreecig

Sorry about your diagnosis and I wish you the best outcome.

Forced quit--that's rough. Almost all quitters choose. It sounds like you would like help in dealing with the anxiety over withdrawals--whether you go back to smoking when the ban is lifted is your business, but as far as dealing with anxiety over no cigarettes being available: use a straw cut to cigarette length, get exercise indoors or out, listen to soothing music or soothing sound (loads on youtube), talk to your doctor about the withdrawal/anxiety, do busy work that you've put off, clean, read a book...come to Ex and blog some more--we listen. 

As a quitter I'm for quitting, but I understand that you did not choose to quit. Try to take your situation one day at a time--it's easier to handle stuff that way.

Shar0n

Hi - some good advice. Thank you.  I wouldn't have chosen to quit right now but as I'm being forced to. I just need to find ways to navigate my diagnosis, my withdrawal from nicotine and the lockdown all at the same time. In a way - the simple act of writing comments here helps a bit. I appreciate the feedback I'm receiving.

maryfreecig

Good to know that writing is helping some. 

Maki

I'm curious SharOn , had you already quit smoking when you felt this tremendous anxiety ? Did you tell your Drs you had just quit smoking . I ask because I'm thinking perhaps what you were experiencing was a craving , not a panic attack although I can relate to them feeling quite similar , yet there are differences . 

A craving will pass .  You will be ok . We have to go through those cravings to heal . I know it can seem scary and you feel out of control but you'll be ok . Come post. Yes they are uncomfortable feelings and feel like they are taking your breath away but everyone you get through leads to freedom from addiction . 

In my own reading today , I found this , it might be helpful to someone do thoughtbid post it's. I myself read through it and found it helpful  . Below is the link . Further down the pages have helpful information about craving attacks. 

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/ndarc/resources/NDARC_ANXIETY_FINAL.pdf 

Shar0n

Thank you for your response. Its very helpful.  
To answer your question - no I still had a few cigarettes left when I had the experience. I had in fact just got off the phone with the Oncologist office when I felt an overwhelming sense of panic. I have never fainted in my life - I was convinced I was going to pass out yet I couldn't sit down. The ER gave me medication to calm me down and it worked - I felt better.  The whole experience scared me.  And although I really do want to quit smoking - I wouldn't have chosen now to do it! And yes I understand there's never a good time but goodness - "You've got cancer, you're under lock-down and by the way, you have to quit smoking right now because we, the Government, have decided to ban tobacco products during the lockdown period.  It's all too much and I don't know how to navigate through it all.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shar0n‌ where are you that you're not allowed to smoke? Interesting! Glad you found us though.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Shar0n

South Africa.  We're in the second phase of lockdown which is understandable.  However, alcohol and tobacco products have been banned and we're only allowed out to buy the basics. 

0 Kudos