cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kuz123

Anxiety and emotions

I recently quit 13 days ago but relapsed 5 days ago. I took 3 hits out of my vape. After that I threw it away. Over the last 5 days I have been feeling crazy anxiety throughout the whole day. I am also feeling very emotional and find myself crying for no reason. I just want to ask is this a normal part of withdrawal? It is weird because I do not feel a craving just the anxiety. I want to note that I have not had anxiety before. I just want to know is this the new normal? am I going to feel normal again?

17 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Totally normal     When you get a second search "withdrawal symptoms from nicotine" this will help you

marciem

Welcome kuz123‌ !! Excellent choice to quit vaping!!  

as to your question (s)  ... yes, anxiety, emotional rollercoaster, rage, crying jags ... all are a normal reaction to nicotine withdrawal.

Question 2... is this your "new normal"? Will you feel this way from now on?   Absolutely not!!  Once you are through the first part of quitting, the nicotine withdrawal and the behavioral/psychological dependence and change of habit, you will find the "new calmer you" normal.  It takes time and patience.  This is a marathon not a sprint.

When anxiety hits, I've found the best relief is in deep breathing exercises.  there are several similar ones, and they help you concentrate on the breathing not the anxiety or craving you might feel.  I still use it as my go-to when I'm feeling stressed or angry (YES, nonsmokers and exsmokers feel stress and anger too!  )  .

kuz123

marciem‌ thank you so much! This made me feel much better! It is just so hard dealing with the anxiety every day. It is very constant and I guess I just have to wait it out.

marciem

Now is a good time to find other distractions, kuz123‌ .  Unfortunately a lot of our options are limited especially if you are "shelter in place" area.  But doing puzzles, reading here, jumping jacks, and breathe breathe breathe can help you get through it.  Learning all you can about this addiction and what others have done to change their lifestyles can be a big help and then one day you'll find that peace.

sweetplt

Yes it is normal...your body is healing from all the chemicals you were feeding it...so much comes about in the beginning of this journey.  Be sure to look for things to do that will help you ease the anxiety...Meditation online, exercise, take a walk, breathing exercises, etc., here is what I did in the beginning...good to retrain your lungs...

pastedImage_1.gif 

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on 13 days smoke free.  As everyone has said, yes this is normal.  In fact, I had few, if any, physical withdrawal symptoms.  Mine were more emotional.  Be patient, it takes time, but it will pass.

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Congratulations on your quit and for tossing the vape stuff! You've come to the right place for community and support regarding quitting and dealing with the ups and downs. Quitting is a journey and it happens one day at a time-the wisdom of Ex. One day at a time, or just for today, or one step at a time--is a way to avoid worrying about how long it is going to take to feel better. 

Weird feelings are normal--because nicotine use means you got addicted--we all did. The way out is through--Ex wisdom again! I hope you are feeling better today.

AnnetteMM

Nicotine became like a friend to you, and you miss it, so of course it's emotional. Withdrawal from nicotine isn't easy, but it's totally doable. I vaped, too, and found that it's important to throw it all away.  All of it, battery and charger and any leftover pods. Never look back. Use this time to read all you can on this site. There are years and years of wisdom in these pages.

1f24d4d75867af5f6684307e4b7160e9.jpg

diamond01

Hi, you are doing great I am 45 days in . and i stay in bed as long as i can, still cry, hopefully it will stop soon, feeling a little angry to don't even know where that is coming from, I yelled at my dog, and my husband is tried of listing to me, good luck right here with you. Helen.