cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Yeager84

irritable

so I have been smoke free for almost 3 weeks now and people are rally starting to get on my nerves   how do I deal with that

Tags (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You might apologize ahead of time for any shortness of temper, grumpiness, lack of sympathy.  These are all normal withdrawal symptoms and are to be expected.  Explaining  beforehand is a good idea!  To reduce this state as much as possible, be sure to get outside if you can, and exercise.  Exercise gives you that hit of dopamine you are missing and is, in general, a good mood enhancer.

Congrats on THREE Weeks.  That is HUGE!!!  You should start to see a mood improvement soon!

Keep going!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Congrats on your new quit.   Did you create a quit plan and read about nicotine addiction.  It really helps to be prepared and understand the various stages on this journey.  Knowing that what you're experiencing is normal gives you the power to be successful.   Keeping busy helps many at this early stage of quitting.   Going for even a short walk helps to refocus.   

There are two aspects to quitting.  The psychological part last longer for most quitters.  Here are some withdrawal symptoms that many experience.

Symptoms of nicotine withdrawal for smokers include:

We're here to support you.   Just reach out if you need encouragement or want to share your journey.

Barb

sweetplt

Do and learn deep breathing exercises...really helps to keep calm...

pastedImage_1.gif Colleen 505 DOF 

Beck37

People really get on my nerves all the time but it has nothing to do with not smoking. People are just plain rude and annoying.... 

Don’t let anyone take away from your Happy. You are doing so amazing with your quit. Don’t sabotage yourself allowing negative thoughts to come in. Ignore, breathe deeply, focus on something else that you have control over. You will be okay. 

Stay strong!

Beck

SisBB

Yeager84‌ If you can get through this, you can get through anything.

I was really irritable too. I think the best thing you can do is minimize contact with folks for a few days. Don’t respond to any texts or emails from that place of irritability. I learned that lesson the hard way. Lol!

Good luck! You’ve got this! You can always complain and vent to us here in the quit world.

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex.

First thing to do is to keep your smobriety no matter what. The irritability will work itself out. Exers are good listeners and if you come here to air your grievances ( no matter how small you think they are) the community will listen!!! Sometimes all we need is to be heard, to let off a little steam.

Congratulations on your quit. Keep it going! 

Maki

Not sure I cannot relate , I didn't have to deal with people much as I never told anyone I was quitting . I kept to myself lots . I know I would have had to say no to a lot of gatherings that may have included people who would be judgemental or trigger intense emotions in me .

Keeping as calm as I could helped me .. although I understand easier said now than in the moment , but avoiding those gatherings or people a while until I was ready to participate would not have made me feel bad about declining those types of situations . 

Walks help tremendously if you get in tight situations , take breathing space ,  you time or time outs . Ask yourself is it addiction making me feel this way or really is it the people . Perhaps it's addiction talking , perhaps it's both , then change the things you can , you can not change others , but your actions may help others to change . 

Keep going ...

take care of you . 

elvan

I suggest avoiding the most irritable people when you can.  It WILL get better, people kept telling me that and, as much as I wanted to scream, WHEN?  I believe them and I kept saying NOPE, Not One Puff Ever...over and over and over again and sure enough, it DID get better.  Now any irritability I have has to do with irritating people.  They really are everywhere but I no longer let them steal my energy.

You are doing great, keep it up.

Ellen