Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Margaretd

Let's stop the argument - smoking is smoking

According to John Hopkins research...

5 Vaping Facts You Need to Know | Johns Hopkins Medicine 

4: Electronic Cigarettes Aren’t the Best Smoking Cessation Tool

Although they’ve been marketed as an aid to help you quit smoking, e-cigarettes have not received Food and Drug Administration approval as smoking cessation devices. A recent study found that most people who intended to use e-cigarettes to kick the nicotine habit ended up continuing to smoke both traditional and e-cigarettes.

In the light of the EVALI outbreak, the CDC advises adults who use e-cigarettes for smoking cessation to weigh the risks and benefits and consider use of other FDA-approved smoking cessation options.

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

THRILLED to see what most of us here believed has been proven to be true.  Performing the same hand to mouth motions and inhaling while feeding the addiction is NOT a good way to beat the addiction - and putting anything in your lungs that isn't air is a bad idea.

I always thought it to be a "DOH!"  Glad the experts now agree.

indingrl

Thanks for SHARING let's STOP the arguing - NICOTINE ADDICTION is proven - it kills in the end  -   ALL those here -  who are RECOVERING from NICOTINE on this RECOVERY site  - those WHO are living proof - from PERSONAL experience - NICOTINE is addictive - yet the NEXT NICOTINE ADDICTION product is being created in the disguise of -  a HELPER to QUIT and someone CREATED -  vaping liquid NICOTINE - for a quicker hit of NICOTINE - making smoking look like fun - so much smoke like a breathing Dragon - kids liked that one and ONE pod equal ONE pack - 20 cigs in a pod - instant DEATH for some teens - WHATEVER form of NICOTINE -  EACH individual chooses - FACT - NICOTINE kills when SUCKING on to COPE with whatever  - sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly - it will KILL - the point is - WHATEVER CHOICE - each -  individual FREELY chooses -  to SUCK on DEATH - it's each individual CHOICE - hmmmmmmm - FREE WILL - awe dang it - NO ONE -  to blame but for the GRACE of God there go I - hmmmmm - ONLY by God's grace I am living - 9 YEARS NICOTINE FREE -  as a NON SMOKERplease i am talking about ME - not anyone else - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - thank you and all the PEOPLE here who teach ME - NeverTakeAnotherPuffEver - over ME

Barbscloud

Not in support of vaping, but you would think John Hopkins would provide where the data came from.  A recent study by whom?

A recent study found that most people who intended to use e-cigarettes to kick the nicotine habit ended up continuing to smoke both traditional and e-cigarettes.
sweetplt

I am not always the best at understanding studies Margaretd ... however, I do know my common sense tells me that anything I breath into my lungs other than fresh air is bad.  Thank you for sharing...Have a good day.  Be safe and Be well...Colleen 497 DOF 

Troutnut1

Choices (a repost from something I wrote many years ago)

Cold Turkey.  Demon dies quickly. quitter lives happily ever after, saves money, saves health, doesn't kill other people with second hand smoke. Health insurance discounts.
NRT demon remains alive-but at least he isn't so pissed off. Quitter hopefully lives happily ever after once off of NRT. Saves some money. Saves health. Doesn't kill other people with second hand smoke. Health insurance skeptical until off nrt. May not be eligible for discounted employer sponsored health care until tests show you are free of all nicotine. Prolongs nicotine withdrawal. Eventually all must go through withdrawal to get off of the drug nicotine. You get to choose whether to speed it up or drag it out. Kind of like paying cash for a car instead of financing it. 
Gradual withdrawal method- demon is still alive-and pissed off. Quitter is pissed too. May live happily someday, but has doubts about living that long. Saves a little money but doesn't care. Stress negates any health savings. Kills fewer people until relapse, then kills more while he/she makes up for lost time with increased smoking. Health insurance fines increase annually. If you truly hate a smoker somewhere, suggest this method. Withdrawal is prolonged indefinitely.
Vaping, ecigs. Demon never dies. Demon may be even happier and healthier. Quitter is still an addict. Likely even more addicted. No money savings, probably spends more. Smoking and addiction to nicotine increases because now we can smoke practically everywhere! Health savings questionable. Will likely end up addicted to these and sickarettes.  Health deteriorates faster when this happens. May or may not kill other people with second hand smoke and vapors.  Health insurance fines as a tobacco user. Device explodes and blows smokers lips off or worse. Never deals with the root causes of addiction because they are still using. Never really experiences withdrawal because this user keeps feeding the demon indefinitely. Eventually comes back here and asks "how do I get off the vaping, e-cigs, and sickarettes?"
Your friend in Montana
Troutnut1 (dennis)
Margaretd

Troutnut1, I just saw your reply.  I've been missing you.  Here's to freedom from nicotine!!!!  Margaret

Barbscloud

Many successful quitters have used an aid (NRT or medication) and new quitters shouldn't be discouraged from using them to quit.   And, I did cut down for a week along with Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and celebrated a two year quit in March.  I'm glad cold turkey works for some people, but it's not for everyone.  I for one don't think we should make people feel guilty because they choose or need some help to quit.  The end result is the same.

DavesTime

"...most people who intended to use e-cigarettes to kick the nicotine habit ended up continuing to smoke both traditional and e-cigarettes."

Yep, and I was one of them. Plus, being a closet smoker, it allowed me to get my fix in a less-detectable way than smoking, and in a way that was closer to smoking than the nic gum I was chewing.  So...cigarettes when I could, and e-cig or nic gum when I couldn't.  Basically, it just allowed me to become even more addicted to nicotine than I already was.