cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Smoking vs. Covid-19

I know there is no logical answer to this, but sitting here in my lockdown on Easter, watching my grandkids hunt eggs in their backyard 300 miles away instead of laughing and hunting with them and helping them, well... here I am pissed off....

According to CDC, smoking is responsible for 480,000 deaths PER YEAR just in the United States.  No numbers for worldwide, I didn't look.

The current count for Covid-19 deaths is 22,000 (give or take) in the United States,  113,000 deaths worldwide (if you can believe the numbers from various countries).

So we are all on lockdown for this, but cigarettes are still legal.  I wish they had outlawed them when the dangers first became known.... I would have bitched and screamed about it then, but would have had to quit... and I probably/definitely wouldn't have lung cancer and COPD now.

Not saying that social distancing and other measures are inappropriate for this pandemic, I'm saying that allowing the legality of something known to cause that many deaths EVERY YEAR, not just a couple, is .... well I have no words.

Done with my rant.

Happy and Blessed Easter, All!

7 Replies
indingrl

6.3 million worldwide death's from cigarette smoking - googled

indingrl

elvan

Happy Easter!  I doubt that I would have risked trying to get an illegal substance, I would have been terrified.  Now, if I was already an addict, it would not have been pretty but what a difference it would have made in my life now.

Hugs to you,

Ellen

sweetplt

Very good point marciem ... nothing to say, but wishes being sent ... Happy Easter...~ Colleen 496 DOF 

Sootie

Rant away Marcie----many of us are feeling pretty frustrated and crazed by this situation. And ranting on this site is a healthy way to get it out. 

Now---I will give you a bright spot.....you have grandchildren although 300 miles away. What a wonderful blessing...virus or not. And it appears they enjoyed their Easter healthy and safe. So we have that.

As to the rest, the world is not fair at times and we just have to see it through.

Happy Easter and hoping you stay well.

marciem

Thank you Sootie‌ .. I needed that to get my attitude of gratitude back up and running   .  

And I'll add that I'm thankful to live in this age of technology where I CAN see them and be seen, and blow and catch kisses.

Otherwise its frustrating but here we are.

You stay well too!  

0 Kudos
marciem

Thanks everyone.   Well wishes and blessings prayed to all of you, all of us who are in this thing together.