Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

albeaver93

Dealing with morning

How to handle craving in the morning 

3 Replies
Barbara145

That is a difficult one for many.  Make a plan.  Do something out of your normal routine. You will get over it.  It just takes time.  Give it time.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   It's important to develop a new routine and create new associations.  For example, I drank my coffee on the porch and smoked. while my dog laid in the yard.   When I quit smoking, I started drinking my coffee while on the Ex.   I would take my phone and play video games while my dog chilled.   I'm also an early walker/exerciser.  That helped to keep my busy. 

Don't know what you're normal morning is like. If you're a coffee drinker, some quitters take a break from drinking it at all.  

Barb

0 Kudos
Margaretd

In my early days of quitting, I woke and the first thing I did is to tell myself; "I am a "non-smoker".  Saying it out loud, first thing upon waking, allowed me to be reminded that I am addicted.  Asking for help to have the addiction lifted was helpful and it worked!

By embracing my addiction, it kind of took the power away from the addiction. I told myself, I choose not to smoke today.  I knew that if I continued to smoke,  I would die, but at this point in my life, I still did have a choice to quit or continuing killing myself.  I decided to quit.

I also embraced the cravings.  By acknowledging them and understanding when they would come and how long they would last, gave me power over the physical craving.  No longer would I allow the cravings to knock the wind out of my sails, I experienced each and every crave and told myself the horrible feeling was my tangible sign that I was quitting successfully.  I began to have control over how I looked at my cravings. 

Enbrace it, conquer it, quit!

0 Kudos