cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

blakesgigi

Anyone else chew nic gum?

I have alternated smoking and chewing the gum when I "quit" for the past year.  And I would only smoke in my garage where no one could see me, stupid right???  Just wondering if anyone else feels the strong addiction to nicotine by using the gum too long.  There is NO SUCH THING AS ONE CIG:(  Truly there isn't.....

39 Replies
MarilynH

Hummm I don't know and I'm not very tech savvy to post links but I'll do a mention to JonesCarpeDiem and he can most likely help you with that question.....

As long as you use nicotine in any form you will feel the physical addiction to it.

Using it is a choice.

There are some who have chewed the gum for 5-10-15 years

They quit smoking but remained nicotine addicts.

It costs the same as smoking.

It still cuts circulation in your gums, ruining your teeth.                

GrandmaCj

I'm glad you posted this message because I was just going to ask about the gum. I quit June 3rd and I started with the patches and went through process with that. I'm not a cold turkey type of person. I also chewed gum maybe twice a day and I'm still chewing the gum. I was thinking that I might try to switch to sugar free gum. Especially since the nicotine gum can have a lot of problems as well. Have a good day and thank you 

Caroline
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@GrandmaCj Maybe you'll find this helpful about nicotine replacement.

Nicotine Replacement - Yes or No? - EX Community

Barb

GrandmaCj

Thanks @Barbscloud that was some great info. Still chugging along smoke free. One thing I find hard is I live alone and I don't have anyone to come and talk to me or to go and talk to. So I'm grateful that y'all have this site. So many nice and interesting people. Thank you 😊

Caroline
Carol6

@JonesCarpeDiem There are people on the site that still chew gum after 5-15 years or are you are just guessing? Or are you saying that there are people in the world who still chew gum after 15 years who aren't necessarily on the site in the past or ever.   I saw some posts about people trying to get off the lozenges and zyn pouches as they appeared addicted to them.  I definitely believe there are people addicted to them I'm just really surprised anyone would be on here actively or admit to being addicted to gum after that long. I don't imagine it's a typical thing so I definitely think you need a pathway to use it temporarily and not permanently and have a plan to wean yourself off it.

Carol

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
0 Kudos
Carol6

Thanks.  I appreciate that @Barbscloud . I'm only 10 days in and have my aids in my quit kit if I need it and can't overcome the cravings by other means. Sometimes it's tough. I think that aids help a lot of people quit and should be used for a period of time that allows a person to separate themselves. While mentioning cases where people become addicted to them is not bad I think that in some cases it's put too strongly in here. It's probably not a common thing as you suggest. And better to be chewing gum for a bit than to be be inhaling smoke. I think your approach and suggestions are a bit better. It's discouraging to a new quitter to read something about aids that instills fear. If people don't need them great, if people do need them great, if people need them some of the time or as needed, great.  Thank you.

Carol

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
Barbscloud

@Carol6   Agreed that NRT often gets a bad rap on the site.  That's why I compiled this information.