cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DANIELA040220

The first few days!

Greetings everyone, 

I've come to the conclusion that I will have to quit cigarettes today instead of in a week from now. The reason being is that I have no money to buy them anymore and I'm sick of spending my money on them. It's been a couple hours since my last cigarette and I just had a strong urge. I am wondering what folks do in their first couple days to stay afloat-  since that's all I will worry about for now. I don't want to think about too far in the future. I just want to get the first couple days right. I have some people I can call for support in the late nights. I have my boyfriend to text, but he needs more of my support (he's also trying to quit) than I need his. I know there's plenty on this site to read.

And even if nothing else helps there is one way to maintain my quit, I can "just sit it out." I know it sounds desperate to simply sit it out, but if all else fails, I guess I'm stuck with that. So that's as far as I got with my quit plan. Sometimes when my urges hit I can't even think straight, I can't focus or do anything but argue with the addict in my head, because I am so paralized and overwhelmed. Can anybody tell me what to do in a situation like this? What worked for you in your first quit days? What didn't? 

Sincerely, 

D

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sweetplt

Hi hon did you read the suggestions I gave you in your first post...I gave you a list of 100 things to do instead of smoking...and to read at My quit plan...what is your plan? You have to do everything to delay the overwhelming feeling...in the beginning ... I would shower a few times, I did a jigsaw puzzle, knitted, etc., 

0 Kudos
DANIELA040220

I have read the 100 things to do instead of smoking. But my problem is that the urge is so overwhelming that I can't bring myself to do them in the first place. Like an obsession. 

sweetplt

This helped me and many here too...breathing exercises...

pastedImage_1.gif

DANIELA040220

Thank you! That's the kind of simplicity I needed. Just one thing to focus on. I appreciate it!

sweetplt

Hopefully you will get more suggestions 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

As goes your mind, so goes your quit!  When you start to dwell on a crave, change your mind's direction.  Do the breathing, or count backwards from 1,000, or get up and march in place.  It doesn't have to be complicated - the idea is that YOU are in charge of what you are thinking........it's TRUE!  YOU are in total control of what you are thinking - so take charge.  Don't let those thoughts overwhelm you.  YOU are the boss; act like it!

You are almost through Day WON!!!  How cool is THAT?!  Now - just repeat it  for the first hour when you awaken tomorrow, then the next 15 minutes, and the next............

You might fit in some reading from the links I provided earlier.  It helps to understand why this is a difficult transition - but you CAN do this!  If I did it - going on 7+ years ago, I know you can do it, too.

Remember - you only have to quit for 15 minutes at a time!

Giulia

Personally I say GOOD that you're stopping a week in advance.  That's one extra week your lungs will be clear of smoke.  We need our lungs to be very strong right now.  Smokers are particularly susceptible to this nasty virus.  

Your quitting because:  "The reason being is that I have no money to buy them anymore and I'm sick of spending my money on them."  May I suggest that you need a stronger motivation than that.  Lack of money is a great motivation, I'll grant you.  But the minute you get enough money, that motivation is out the window.  It's the same kind of motivation when we get sick.  It's easier to quit then.  The problem  is we get well, and then that motivation dissipates.  

But I don't believe you came to this site to quit just because you didn't have enough money to buy more.  I think you came here because you know smoking is just not good for you.  It's not.  Welcome a'board.

I don't consider "sitting it out" a bad thing.  I quit cold turkey more or less.  And what I mean by that is that I had a "Smoke Away" item, of which I took a couple of pills (which did NOTHING).  I didn't finish the bottle, nor the other two elements of what they gave in their "kit."  Since it didn't help - why take it?  I "sat it out."  First three days were fabulous.  Then I hit day four when it all came crashing down.  

How did I deal with it?  I said, "I'm not going to smoke no matter what."  So it didn't matter how uncomfortable I was in the process, I agreed to the "no matter what" scenario from the day I quit.  I mean, quitting is an all-out commitment.  No matter what.  No matter what means no excuses.  

My point?  Yes.  Sit it out.  Get over it.  Don't dwell on it.  We have the ability to change our focus.  It's REALLY HARD to do that.  But the more we practice it, the better we become at it.  Changing our focus from bad thoughts I(i.e. craving thoughts) to either no thoughts, or good thoughts takes work and practice.  

But that's part of the beauty of this quitting challenge.  To learn to adapt.  To learn HOW to change our focus.  

And I can't encourage you enough to read blogs and responses to those blogs here.  That's such a potent force in changing our thought processes.   Reinforcement of the reasons we want to quit, reinforcement of the methods on how to quit... you can't read enough on here is what I'm saying.

I quit two years before this site was created.  What I learned is that I got the most from connecting with others who had gone through this experience.  Who had the wisdom I didn't.  I learned from those who had trodden this path before me.  And I know beyond a doubt that I could not have done this without such community support.

Here's something I wrote about the back-and-forth dialogue that went on in my head when I quit.  Maybe it will help. maybe not at this stage of your quit.  But I offer it up... /blogs/Giulia-blog/2016/09/06/a-quit-dialogue-in-iv-acts?sr=search&searchId=8e68b30b-ab96-46da-8140-...‌  Maybe you will recognize some of yourself in that dialogue.  

Point is - just take it one day at a time and persevere.  And figure out how to change you thinking.  For the magic is in the changing of our thinking.

Barbscloud

That's great that you have begun your journey early.  There's lots of things you can do.  I found going for a walk and utilizing the Ex the most helpful.  In addition for me, sour candy and chewing on straws.

Barb

lenard976

Hello DANIELA040220‌  I am with you on this journey. I just quit on 3/24. #quarantinequit‌ . I have found myself napping and distracting myself with mindless games on my phone. Like you, It was getting expensive for me and the looks of disgust from people that you get as a smoker bother me as well. Also with the quarantines and social distancing, my smoking triggers have been minimized, So I figured why not NOW!! It will get better as time goes on but the first couple of days are hard. Fell free to message me if yall need someone to ride with you along this adventure!! I am in it too!!   Trying to be smoke free in Washington DC!!