cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

p_sawy45

How do I quit? (Need Help)

Lately i've been struggling with my vaping addiction and to be honest, with all of this craziness going on, I have found it tougher than ever to quit. 

I try to talk to my friends about it but they all call me a p****... 

I have learned in past experiences that I am only as good as the people I surround myself with, hence me joining this community. 

If any of you are open to it, I would love to chat through some of my struggles with quitting and find out some tips / tricks of someone who has been in my shoes before. 

My name is Pat, my mobile number below. Please feel free to reach out (serious texts only)... Would be greatly appreciated. 

Cell: [Number removed]

Stay safe/healthy yall!!! 

Post edited by Mark‌: Removed contact number. If you wish to exchange contact information do so in private with a trusted person, instead of publicly where your number could be harvested and used to send you spam.

9 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s p_sawy45 

I am glad you found our site.  Might I suggest, you not place your cell phone on an open forum.  In time if you want to private message someone you become friendly with that is one thing, but just to put it out there is not recommended.  

Now on to quitting vaping...while social distancing during this time it is a great time to quit vaping, smoking etc., Read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... make a quit date and make a plan, then educate yourself about quitting and addiction.

Keep close to us, the support site for help and to encourage others.  Remember as addicts we never find anytime is a right time to quit...those reasons are all excuses....you can do this...we are here for you...start thinking of healthy activities you will do in place of vaping.  Seriously quitting opens doors, but it takes time and hard work...be safe and be well....~ Colleen 485 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You are NOT a wuss (wonder if the software will asterisk THAT out?).  You are an addict!    Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine.

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping.  Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here; https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

E-cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. I understand some pods equal the nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do. Some of our uses were just automatic pilot, and they are the easiest to put aside.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

P.S.  I also recommend you take out your phone number.  You can find an "Edit" option on the top right of the screen when you go to your blog.  You can have a private conversation by going to a person's page (click on their username or avatar to get there) and there is a message option on the right under the banner on their page.

PastTense

p_sawy45‌, good morning, and welcome aboard!

I can't chat on the phone, since I have to actually be at work today, but I'm happy to write.

Quitting and addiction is hard work, whether it's vaping or cigarettes.  Have you created a written quit plan?

I have found a quit plan makes a difference.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Maki

Read read read . Go through the site and read all the info you can . If you have questions post them here . You will have much support , many helping you through , giving you ideas . It's a very effective way to help yourself . 

There are other vape users quitting here so you will have lots of feedback from both smokers and vape users while you participate online . Posting a blog is helpful as well .

Welcome to the Ex and new vape free you .

I am not sure if there is telephone coaching here but our moderator may be able to comment on that . 

I know some sites do have one on one  telephone coaching . You could call you local addictions centre perhaps for a list of resources . 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to  quit.  Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.   I hadn't done that in the past and it really made a different for a successful quit.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share your experience.

Barb

RoseH

Everyone needs a plan to quit...  If you don’t have one I can give you one...  I am new and unsure of how to use this website yet...  I smoked for 50 years...  I quit Cold Turkey (another story) and after 599 days I can honestly say I do NOT think about smoking anymore...  and my husband has not quit yet...  Attitude is everything and the proper tools help too!

RoseH

THE QUIT KIT  a Repost by Grammax s.

This will help you make a plan to KEEP your QUIT...

It isn't a matter of just slapping on a patch or chewing some nicotine gum.  Every behavior you can think of is tied to your smoking.  We smoked because we were happy, sad, mad, hurt, tired, sick, bored... etc.

You need to replace those habits.

Take a day to make a plan.  We call it a Quit Kit.  It can be anything you want.  

Get creative and really think about it.

Some things folks have used is nicotine gum.  You can buy regular gum the same size, color and flavor so you can go back and forth between the two.

If you are using the patch, make sure you have an extra patch in the office, in your purse, or in your wallet, for those days when you have forgotten to put one on in the morning.  It happens more than you think!

Have lozenges available for those high stress / high craving times.

Have some Red Vines to 'smoke'.  Or a cut up a straw into thirds...  especially during high trigger times like driving.  Sometimes it feels good to just hold if you are accustomed to always having a smoke in your hand.

Grab your favorite CDs or tapes to put in your car so you can put one in and sing out loud.

My favorite was dancing and singing at the same time.

Your brain cannot do a 3rd thing, so thinking about smoking just disappears...  🙂

To keep your mind and hands busy, go to a local arts/crafts store and look for things to do.  Buy something that interests you; rug hooking kits, scrapbooking stuff, or Christmas stocking kits for the grandkids.  Or, get some coloring books and colored pencils or felt tip pens.  Stained glass, floral, tropical fish or Native American motif coloring books are available everywhere now. They make you want to do a good job.  LOL!  Dora the Explorer would make me want to scribble on her face...  😮

Make a list of everything that needs to be done, or you want to do around the house.  Go through each room and write down everything from cleaning out drawers and closets to painting, rearranging or redecorating.

Same with the garage and yard work...

Once you have your list, break it down into 5-15 minutes segments so nothing becomes overwhelming.

Make baggies of crunchy foods to satisfy your mouth so they are at work and handy to grab...  Carrots, celery, chex mix, pretzel sticks (you can hold those like a cig), gum, etc.   They need to be ready to just grab at any given time.

This is important!  The 3 Post Rule:  When you are craving and really shaky, post and click the “I'm craving and need some help” box.  Wait for at least 3 response posts before you make a decision to purchase cigarettes or to smoke.  Most times, you will be fine once you read the posts (keeps you from dwelling).  If not...post again and wait for 3 more...

Once you have all these things figured out you will be well prepared to handle anything and you don't even have to think...just look at your list…

Keep 1 copy at work, 1 at home, 1 in your purse or wallet, 1 in the car. 

If you did one day, you can do 2.  If you did 3, you can do one more.

No future tripping. You can't do a darn thing about tomorrow until it gets here. Today is a good time to quit but if you feel you can't, then take tomorrow to put together your Quit Kit and quit the day after.

Don't set a quit date out there for 2 weeks, 1 month, etc. All you do is make yourself crazy in your head by stressing over that date.

Margaretd

Pat, quitting begins with willingness.  You need to be willing to go through the process of withdrawal and know that it won't be easy but necessary.  I found that when I quit struggling and quit being afraid of the craves, and gave up all illusions that I could ever smoke or vape again -  that is when I was able to quit.

During my first few days, I played a mind game. When the craving came, it helped me to know the craving would last about 1 or 2 minutes - sometimes shorter, sometimes longer.  It helped to know that the craves would come every 20 minutes, that knowledge helped me be prepared and not feel like I was sucker-punched.

With each craving, I acknowledged it and allowed myself to fully feel it.  As I felt each craving, (really experienced them)  I realized that I could get through each one.  As I continued "experiencing" the cravings, they were less and less scary for me.  The intensity didn't go away, right away, but I remember being surprised with one crave and realizing it was not all that intense.  Of course, I had to learn that would not always be the case because another one came with great intensity and I remember being disappointed.  

Finally, I really had to get any lingering ideas out of my head that "someday, someway" I could smoke or vape again. I new that smoking marijuana would not be a substitute.  I had to tell myself that if I ever picked up one cigarette, or took one puff of anything, or a vape, or put anything into my lungs, except air, I would be right back into my addiction and I did not want to go through withdrawal again. 

good luck and remember this is a life or death situation, no matter how old you are.

0 Kudos
Benedina

Hi Pat, I’ll move over in the boat. You can sit at one end, I’ll sit on the other. That way, we won’t tip over and fall into the vape abyss. I’m on day 10 after vaping for many, MANY, MANY years. I jumped on the vaping bandwagon the nano second they first became available in the U.S. in order to quit cigarettes. I was happier than a tick on a new born deer from day one. Because I worked from home, i was able to vape all day every day. With the cigarettes, at least I had to go outside and yes, that was me, in the middle of winter, shivering, wet hair after a shower, turning my head so the sleet didn’t hit my face or get my cigarette wet, on the porch at 6 a.m., in a robe, pajamas, my husbands snow boots, and a coat.   Ahhh vaping, I could then stay inside and vape all day long. What God given gift was THIS!!! Manna from heaven is what I thought at the time. Problem was, and I didn’t realize it at the time, was just that; I was vaping all day long, every day. There are nicotine receptors in our brain and the more nicotine that was delivered into my brain, the more nicotine receptors were created. By vaping all day I had exponentially increased nicotine receptors to the Nth degree. That’s why I think it was MUCH harder for me to stop vaping than to quit cigarettes.  I sit here humbly and say I was too terrified to quit nicotine altogether, so I quit vaping and went on the Nicorette lozenges and I am on week two.  Yes, I feel like a weakling and yes, I plan on doing the whole program hoping I’ll quit nicotine completely, sooner than that three month mark. But I don’t miss the gut wrenching panic that set in when I realized the corner gas station was out of the cartriges I used as refills, or the battery stopped working and I had to drive to (wait for it) to eight stores and gas stations before I found a battery. I always had to make sure I carried that dang charger with me, then more refill cartridges....everything was the vaping and equipment and I had backups for back ups “just in case.”   It was exhausting.  And then the shame, the shame each month when I would look at my charge card bill and realize how much money I was spending.  The Nicorette takes the edge off for me enough so that every time I am reaching for that battery and cartridge that is no longer here (everything is in a landfill near here, hopefully next to rotting banana skins, discarded dentures due to implants, and sinking slowly into a biohazard pit), I have the CHOICE to say....“hold on...I’ll wait just a half hour more JUST TO SEE IF I CAN” before the next lozenge.    I don’t have any great wisdom, insight, or advice to share with you Pat. The exceptionally wonderful folks here, that helped me get to that day, yes, THAT DAY (and it took ALMOST a year for me) when I finally quit the vapes and who didn’t criticize me for going the lozenge route (thank you everyone) are far wiser that this quit newbie.   Read all their posts and advice. Even if you just skim the posts there is always something that will help you that minute, or hour, or day.  All I have to personally offer to you right now is that I’m thinking of you, I KNOW how hard this is, I do, that I have you in my prayers, and to stay here....please, please, stay here. There is only good here Pat, pure and simple, there are only good people here, real people, who are here....for YOU. And I also get that chatting on the phone is more direct. It’s comforting to hear another’s voice. But the way I see it, is the printed word on this valuable site allows me to go back and reread the insights, the guidance, and the advice of so many fine people. There are many hours that I will hear people on the phone and to be truthful, afterword, I realize due to the withdrawal I just wasn’t listening and didn’t really hear what the person was saying, let alone remember.  Sorry for the long response. My wish for you today is that you know what a magnificent creation you are and that you are worth every single effort to stay away from something that is viciously pursuing you and..... that you realize you ....YOU have the power, YOU...have the power, this minute, this hour, this day....not the vapes. As for quitting in the middle of this horrible virus crises, Sweet Baby Jesus WHAT WAS I THINKING ?!??!!   But there’s no where to go, no one to see me with hair that looks like Frankenstein AFTER the doctor hit the electric circuit, with chocolate stains all over my mouth and shirt, and half empty Cheeto Bags (“I’ll just eat a couple”) laying on the couch, all due to withdrawal.  No, I’m NOT cleaning either. These days my attitude is dust is Mother Nature’s way of saying “Good Morning.”  Take care Pat. Just being here makes you a rock star!!!