cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

The Theremin

A Sunday diversion:

Today's quiz:  what musical instrument do you play without touching it?  Raise your hand if you have the answer.

While doing some snoping around I discovered this instrument.  Blew me away.  Ever heard of it?  I'll bet Dale has.  I've heard the sound it makes (from all those old sci fi movies), but never thought about what kind of instrument would play that music.  I guess I just assumed it was a wobbling violin or like paying the saw or something.  

It's actually quite fascinating and amazing.  If you're bored out of your mind (or even if you're not), click on the links below.

THEREMIN - Over The Rainbow - YouTube 

A Brief History of the Theremin | Albert Glinsky - YouTube 

Ennio Morricone - The Ecstasy of Gold - Theremin & Voice - YouTube 

Carolina Eyck and her theremin | Carolina Eyck | TEDxDornbirn - YouTube 

I love what Carolina Eyck said in that Ted Talk above:  "Try to learn from the way you are thinking and feeling and try to accept every sensation because they are a part of you.  Once it is possible for us to reach the state where we can accept and there's no judgment anymore, you feel free. ...This freedom allows our soul to connect deeply with the music.  If you are one with yourself, people will hear your soul in the music because you ARE the music."

And here's the instrument in an orchestra: 

KATICA ILLÉNYI - Once Upon a Time in the West - Theremin - YouTube 

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

That is 'friggin' AH - MAZING!

Thanks for the knowledge (and experience!)

Giulia

I know!  It is just so neat!  Glad you thought so too.

0 Kudos
Sootie

I had never heard of this before ever........thanks for sharing! Very interesting.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Lady G that is MY learning something NEW in MY TODAY- thank you

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

Yes I knew what a Theremin was from seeing it on a history show and one of those storage locker shows.    They are really strange and cool sounding

I just heard of this instrument a KALIMBA yesterday as Joyce showed me a video I wouldn't mind trying to play one

Over The Rainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYsTW1GE1B8

0 Kudos
Giulia

Interesting.  I spent a lot of time in Jamaica in my youth and they played an instrument that I knew as the "marimba."  Looked like this:  

traditional jamaican instruments -rhumba box

They'd sit on it, legs straddled, and bending over it, they'd pluck the metal bars.  It was quite the attraction for tourists back in the early 50s.  But now that I've done some research (thanks to you), I've discovered it was called a rhumba box.  Maybe as a 10 year old I just thought (since it was a marimba band) that the box was the marimba.  The ones I remember them playing only had 5 metal bars as I recall.  More like this (though not nearly as ornate):

pastedImage_1.jpg

Your kalimba reminded me of the above.  Though the latter is a smaller box with higher pitch.  Interesting.

Oh, more snooping and I found the rhumba box was also called a mirambula.  Maybe that's how I got the miramba.

0 Kudos
vanlil

I think we will contract him for 2020 
Season in Key West.

0 Kudos
Legend

Well I just learned something new from you and that was pretty cool thanks for sharing. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Pink Floyd

0 Kudos