cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gotdance363

The patch

I quit vaping yesterday, again. This time I decided using the patch since all previous attempts to quit did not work for me. Previously I would get panic attack after panic attack until I went to the store and got more eliquid  I am determined to quit though I know I can get through this and I'm hoping with the patch I can fight one piece of the puzzle at a time (habit vs addictive). But I have a few questions about the patch since it's very new to me, I've done a little research but if anyone can share anything at all about their experience with the patch is greatly appreciate it!

My first day wasn't horrible I just miss the throat hit that I would receive vaping. I wasn't sure what strength to use for the patch since I typically Vaped all day but at a 3mg nicotine strength. So I bought the step 2 - 14 mg strength patch does this seem right? I'm not sure if I'm suppose to feel different with it on but I feel the same. Also I did not sleep with it on but I had terrible nausea through the night and did not sleep the best at all. I feel fine this morning no nausea, is that probably connected to the patch? 

4 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I  think it would be tough to figure out your nicotine use...but maybe add up the mg in the cartridges and figure out when you had to change them to see how much you were using?  I found this on doing a 'net search:  "Nicotine patches come in three different doses. Dosage should be chosen based on how much you currently smoke. Check package instructions regarding appropriate dosing or ask your health care provider about what dose is appropriate for you. If you experience dizziness, rapid heartbeat or nausea, this may mean you are getting too much nicotine and you may need to reduce the nicotine patch dose." at  Trying to Quit Smoking? Here’s What You Should Know about the Nicotine Patch - Dialogue Blog - Unive... 

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping. There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here:   https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”  You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes,   Here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

5Jacks

I think everyone’s mileage probably varies with the patch. Here’s my experience. I started with the 21 mg patch because I regularly smoked a pack a day. I placed it somewhere on my torso and my skin would get all itchy in that spot, but the feeling didn’t last longer than 20 minutes or so. There would be several times during the day where I still really craved a smoke. In those cases, I put a 2mg nicotine lozenge in my mouth and that always worked.

I did sleep with the patch on. This time, I never had any vivid dreams. I previously used patches over 30 years ago and I did experience vivid and full technicolor dreams, which I enjoyed.

I never felt sick or nauseous from the patch, but I think some people might.

I used to think that nicotine replacement therapy was an all or nothing type of thing in that, if you use one, you cannot smoke or vape. I discovered that’s not true and that helped me on my current journey. I started on the patch and continued smoking anywhere from 5 to 8 cigarettes a day for the first week. I was going to taper down to 0 over time, but I wound up stopping smoking the second week. That’s when I started incorporating the lozenges.

Wishing you the best on your journey. You will figure out what the right combination is for you without having any panic attacks.

nwtw

Hi,

I used the patch for the first time on this quit.  I am now on day 60 of being smoke free. I know that there are some people who think NRT is not "really" quitting, but this is the only thing that has helped me stop.  I also just finished reading a book called "Dopesick" about the U.S. opioid addiction epidemic and the similarities between the failure rate of the "Cold Turkey" method for quitting smoking and quitting opioids are incredibly similar.   Unfortunately our culture and health care system has not caught up with that in the opioid crisis, and very few people are treated with narcotic replacements.  But we are lucky that the medical establishment has figured out that nicotine replacement helps a lot of people with quitting smoking.  OK - off my soap box - here is detail about my experience:

I called 1-800 Quit Now and they provided the patches for free along with nicotine gum and lozenges.  Based on my smoking patterns they recommended I start with Step 1 (21MG) for one month.  Then I stepped down to the 14MG patch for 2 weeks.  I stepped down to the 7MG patch after that but found that I was forgetting to wear it, so I quit the patch altogether after about 4 days on 7MG.  I have read on this site that others started forgetting to wear it much earlier than I did, so I may be an anomaly.  In my experience I found that the patch relieved enough of the physical cravings to allow me to concentrate on the habitual/emotional side of smoking.  

I did not get nauseous, but I had VERY vivid dreams when I slept with the patch (not nightmares, just the type of dream where I sometimes woke up tired or feeling like what I had dreamed had actually happened).  So I decided to take it off at bedtime.  I also supplemented with the gum for the first few weeks of my quit.  But I only used the gum at times of strong cravings and only chewed a few pieces a day.  I do still carry it in my purse for those "just in case" moments.

The patch was not the only thing I had to help.  It was only one tool in my tool kit.  I had several fails under my belt and the learnings from those.  I decided that I was not probably not going to be able to do it on my own, as I had previously tried.  So I found this community, which has been incredible.  I also "saw" an addiction counselor online who gave me a LOT of invaluable methods and tools to distract, analyze and support myself while going on this journey.  

You can do it too.  Do what feels right for you.  Hang in there and let the universe help you.    You will be amazed at how many people are here to support you.

Nancy 

Gotdance363

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did indeed go down to the lowerest patch level today through ur reading and more research I clearly was having bad nicotine withdraws at night. So far step 3 or 7 mg is working pretty well for me as far as not making me nasua. Still restless at night but I think it's just my body adjusting and changing to this and having anxiety. It's great hearing ur input on this because the patch has been so very new to me I really don't know what I was expecting but I am hopeful it will help guide me off nicotine once and for all!