cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Darlene0313

Chest pain and withdrawals

Hello, 

I am quitting cold turkey and i have very bad chest pain. I've been to the ER. They did xrays, ct scan and ekg and fou d nothing. Does chest pain occur when quitting cold turkey? 

Thank you, 

Dee

8 Replies

Dee,

It is possible that you are having chest pains from quitting. Your lungs could be the cause or it could be muscle spasms.

Have you been coughing a lot? Could be muscle strain.

I might suggest asking your doctor if you should see a pulmonologist.

Larry

Darlene0313

Hi Larry

Thank you for responding. I dont cough much at all,  i would have dismissed it as costochondritis. Right now im using an ice pack on my back hoping that is the cause, seems to be helping a little. All my muscles hurt so badly, its the chest pain that was worrying me.  I have a teleconference with my doctor on monday so i will ask him his thoughs on seeing a pulmonoligist. 

indingrl

Just googled - YOUR question and SUGGESTED -  deep breathing for chest pain - please google for YOUR self - thank YOU and  I am so glad YOU went to ER and tests were taken and YOU got results -  CONGRATS on YOUR NICOTINE FREEDOM

Darlene0313

Hi, 

I did google it but i dont believe everything i read on the iinterner so i decided to ask here. Ive quit smoking before and never had pains like this before but then again i never quit cold turkey i always used chantix. 

Dee

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Darlene0313 

I am so glad you went to the ER...if it continues, call your Doctor on Monday.  Here is a blog on withdrawal symptoms, https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms?sr=se... however, that doesn’t mean there are not more, but this will help you.  I am glad the ice is helping.  I quit cold turkey and ended up getting physically sick with aches, cough, lungs hurt, etc. I let it go for a month or so and went to my pulmonologist and found out I had sinus infection and upper respiratory infection...I felt my body was run down when I quit as it healed from all the years of smoking.  Also, about 12 years ago, I went to ER with chest pains and they couldn’t find anything, but the Doctor saw I had muscular arms and chest and asked if I lifted weights, “ I said yes” and he told me “ I may have pulled a muscle in my chest, hence my heart muscle “...it was quite painful for a few weeks and I used an ice pack and rested often.  This can happen even from lifting something heavy...Just a thought.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing, but quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself.  ~ Colleen 481 DOF 

Darlene0313

Hi Colleen, 

Ive been on antibiotics back to back and finally told to stop them since they were not helping.  Im going to continue with the ice. 

Are you saying that your body got run down from quitting and it caused you to get sick. I do know there is a thing called the smokers flu but i think for me its to soon into the quitting. 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting so.  I searched here on the site and found this by the Mayo Clinic doctor associated with the site: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/08/16/chest-pain.  You can also search for other discussions on chest pain using the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the page.  I have heard this mentioned a fair number of times in the 7+ years I have been volunteering here.  Even with the pain you are experiencing, I just know this decision to quit smoking is one you will never regret.  I will give you information to inform you, and tips to help you be successful at this.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Darlene0313

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for sharing all that with me, very helpful. I dont want to keep failing, therefore i will be taking advantage of all the links you sent to me. 

Thank you again, 

Dee