cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

manofsteele

Crave Kits - Can Save Quits - Whats in Yours ?

I believe Nicotine stays in the body for 72 hours and cravings typically last 2-5 minutes.

I would prepare a survival kit for all the cravings after the quit with hard candy, liquorice, cinnamon sticks, straws, pens, pencils, different tasting mouthwashes or toothpastes.

I would also suggest a small bottle of Vics vapor rub and put a little bit under your nose during craves. It works wonders !

Get a crave or trigger kit ready to help you get through the craves that only last 2-5 minutes.

So what has helped you get over a crave?

What else would you put in a crave kit?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
manofsteele

ding...ding ...ding......winner....winner...chicken dinner..... !

I think u might be getting it down.....anyone else?
0 Kudos
manofsteele

yep thats all they last each time and if you can do something for that time so you are not dwelling on it they will pass and start becoming less frequent. If all you do is concentrate on feeding the addict thoughts you can stretch out the crave time...but you don't have to with this knowledge.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

I never remember having 100 craves in a day....the first 4 weeks were crave filled....for every trigger I seemed to have crave (understand I was a 2+pack a day smoker and almost everything I did also involved a cig).... slowly I changed those triggers to items in my crave kit. So every week I seemed to have less.................and now almost none.....they do pop up but are easily beaten up ....lol.

Does anyone else have a different experience with #of craves and time ?
0 Kudos
tina51

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to try the ice chips at my day job. The other day I wrote to you worried about having to work my night job and getting through the night without a cigarette. I brought a bag of sunflower seeds and that seemed to work. The BBQ flavored ones were pretty good. I also tried the deep breathing and that seems to be working too I've been doing that throughout the day. And of course chewing alot of gum. I saw somewhere on this website that someone made cinammon toothpicks which I think is a great idea and will probably try those. This may sound crazy but I think some of my cravings are mental and just need something like that or maybe the straws especially in the car. And alot of my cravings seem to be coming when I'm bored or on the phone. It's like on that commercial "learning" to do everyday things without cigarettes. Thanks again.... Keep up the good work to you all!!!
0 Kudos
melissa9

Well for my craving kit. I have peppermints with me everywhere I go. And if I am going somewhere and going to be there for awile I take gummy o's. Another thing I started today was drinking juice when I really didn't want the candy. It helped so hey that is good for me so that sounds go to me. Plus since my girls are 2 of my main reasons to quit and stay that way I have a pic of them in my kitchen on my computer screen and on a chain on my purse so I always have a pic to see that helps me too. Whatever it takes you have to find out what best works for you. You can do it if you really want to and don't except any excuses to smoke.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

thanks ....I think these sound like great ways to spend 2-5 minutes to get past a crave and keep your smoke free...dom !
0 Kudos
tina51

Hey Roberta, the ice chips do work for me and I don't dring enough water so it's a way to get that in also. I like you idea of the tissue stuffed straws. I don't want to gain a bunch of weight either and I have to eat low sugar suff. I'm drinking alot of diet green tea I buy the can of the powdered mix and keep water bottles of it in the fridge at work and home. And that's what I bring in the car with me. I just keep sipping it. It seems to help. I'm going to order some flavored toothpicks on line and see how they work. I also read in one of these groups someone said they has sugar free gummies in their quit kit. I might try those too. So many good ideas..... But I'll have time to try them all I'm sure... Thanks for your ideas.... Keep up the good work.... We can all do this.....
0 Kudos
lizzo

My cravings last about 5 minutes or so but come back with a vengeance about 5 minutes after that and then 5 on and 5 off... Its agonizing.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

lol...thats the attitude ...and to think I thought you might be tough to convince ..... u RAWCK - really awesome wonderful cancerstick kicker !!
0 Kudos