cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Acciosanity

Stop patch?

In reading the box for my patches, which I'm already using, it estimates I'll be using these for 12 WEEKS?! I always quit cold turkey before, but admittedly my circumstances are much more stressful now than before. But doesn't that seem like a long time to use these? Isn't it just dragging it out? Has anyone stopped the patch sooner with success? 

Labels (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Keep in mind that those instructions are written by the folks who want to sell more patches! Just as each person is unique, so is every quit.

I did not use them, but from what I have read of experiences here, you will know when it's time.  Some have said they were ready when they forgot to put one on for a day or two and didn't even notice for a bit.  Others just felt ready to get the physical chain broken and deal with a few side effects.  When you feel ready, you might reduce the nicotine amount in them.....and promise to put a higher dose back on if it is too difficult.  Gradually reducing the mg in them can help wean you down off the nicotine, and make the physical withdrawal less bothersome.  The idea behind them is for you get past the psychological part of the addiction and THEN the physical one.

Nancy

Barbscloud

You do reduce the nicotine mg's as you  go along.  Please read the attached for medical information.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Barbscloud/blog/2019/03/12/cold-turkey-or-nrt?sr=search&se... 

Barb

AnnetteMM

You can quit nicotine whenever you feel you're ready to quit nicotine.  You'll go through some withdrawal symptoms no matter how low you go on the patches. In my own very humble opinion, it's best to get it over with and not drag it out.

Acciosanity

I was still glad to read your other post too! You've got some wisdom! 

indingrl

on YOUR days of freedom

Jono28

I qstarted this quit using 21mg patch AND 4mg gum.

I was determined to arm myself with enough NRT so that I could a oid major physical withdrawal and focus on quitting the habit.

If the patch and/or gum helped reduce cravings, I couldn't tell. Cravings were so bad I couldn't imagine they'd get worse do Monday 6 I took off the pay h and ditched the NRT.

Day 14 tomorrow and hating life but nicotine free for over a week and no worse than when still putting nicotine in my body. Also, although I've never been more miserable living a life without those damn cancer sticks, smoking isn't an option and I'm glad all nicotine is out of my system.

GenX Jono
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

That's fabulous.   14 days is a solid beginning on your journey to freedom.  It can be challenging at first, but it will get better.  Hang in there.

Barb

0 Kudos

I didn't know anything and started with the 21mg patch when I likely could have used the 7mg.

I forgot my 4th day but they were only 10 minutes away.

The next day I felt I needed it and put one on.

My second week I forgot two days in a row so I put one in my wallet with the promise I would put one on rather than smoke.

I never needed it.