cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stop-smoking5

Healing From Nicotine and Tobacco Addiction | A Health Miracle of the Wondrous Human Body

To long time smokers afraid to quit smoking or who refuse to stop smoking cigarettes based on the 'What good will it do me?' mentality...

No matter how long you've smoked, your lungs and vital organs have the power to heal from the years of abuse inflicted upon them.  I had smoked since I was 12, so cigarettes did a significant amount of damage on every part of my body, including my height, my lungs, etc. 

At around the age of 24, my doctor began telling me that I needed to quit smoking.  My lungs were charred and my breathing sounded (according to my doctor) like I was in my 60's.  I could even feel the effects, but did nothing.  My heart and lungs hurt often, I would wake up in the mornings short of breath and just light up a cigarette even though it made me hurt even worse.  I didn't know it at the time, but I was even having mini heart attacks.  I would get light headed and my left arm and the left side of my upper body would 'sting.'

This went on for 5 years until I developed an infection in my chest that caused me excruciating pain.  I went to prompt care and the doctor hadn't even seen me before she knew what caused it:  Smoking cigarettes.  As she entered the room, she was already prepped for her first question:  "How long have you been smoking?"

17 years, and - at that point - at least (but generally more than) 2 packs a day.  I finally quit smoking on May 5th 2009.  I was scheduled to see my doctor just over 6 weeks or so after I went to prompt care.  By the time I saw my regular doctor, I had been quit for a few weeks and he could ALREADY TELL just by listening to my lungs that I had quit smoking. 

I was really hacking up a lot of crap at this point, and he informed me that it was perfectly natural.  He told me to expect it for the following months to come.  I was relieved to find out that my almost unbearable coughing after quitting smoking was the process of healing! 

Although I have a cold now and I've been coughing a bit, I haven't had a problem with excessive coughing or breathing for months now.  I am able to play with my dog for much longer than I used to without getting worn out.  She's a shepherd and likes to make me chase her (she won't just fetch. lol)

When I first started practicing Yoga, I couldn't keep a deep breath or hold a pose (or get into some of them, for that matter) for the recommended time...Now when I exercise and meditate, I'm able to control very deep, life sustaining breaths that deliver oxygen to my body, helping it heal further; and I am physically capable of performing some of the most advanced stretches. 

I went to the club recently with some younger friends of mine, and I hadn't been out dancing in years.  I had more energy than I remembered having in my early 20's when I smoked.  There are examples every day of how my health continues to improve since I have quit smoking cigarettes.  Now is the perfect time to choose life...By this time next year you, too, will be amazed at how much your health has improved once you stopped smoking cigarettes. 

Best of luck to everybody...My door is always open for support. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ladybug75

Wow this really inspired me for my 1st quit day!!Thanks

0 Kudos
jen1955

Thanks for the moral support, I just may hang your article on my frig for those weak moments

andrea32

You are such a role model and inspiration! I'm on day 5, and have no intention of going back. I am 33 years old, and have smoked on and off since I was 16 or so. My dad is a heavy smoker, and I so wish he would quit. Maybe I will be an inspiration to him. 🙂 

Thank you for sharing your truth - truly inspiring and motivating. Yes we can! 

0 Kudos
debra10626

Thank you for posting this!!  Today is my quit day, and after 37 years of smoking, I really needed to hear that I can heal from the damage smoking has done.  I became sick with a lung infection after Christmas, ( the second time this year) and my doctor told me I have Emphsema.  I have quit many times, but have always gone back.  I know now, that is not an option anymore.  I have to keep this quit, and your post is an inspiration.  Thank you.

steph1811

Thank you for sharing! I have also had "seeing stars" spells where everything gets very bright and twinkly for a minute or two, that got my attention. Your story is so inspirational!

0 Kudos
cbgerber

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  Although this article was written six years the reality is still true today and therefore such an inspiration to me.  I have hit a point in my life that I am so tired of being physical slow and short of breath I will begin walking first then on to yoga.  Again thank you!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

stop-smoking5‌ 8 Years later, how are you feeling now?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
stop-smoking5

I'm great! Thanks for asking. I've been working on improving my physical

and spiritual health. I'm about to get certified as a personal trainer,

and doors are opening that will enable me to help countless individuals!